Military responses to 2001 Twin Towers attack under different presidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military responses to 2001 Twin Towers attack under different presidents

How would the US response to 911 have differed from President George Bush Jr's, if at all, if it had occurred under:

1. President Reagan?

2. President Bush Sr?

3. President Clinton?

4. President Obama?

5. President Trump?
    Image result for twin tower attack hit

Or would there have been no real difference of consequence?

IMHO, Bush Sr. would have struck back at the correct nation. Clinton would have done nothing. Obama would have apologized and Trump would have gone to war with Saudi, closed the Gulf and squeezed them into submission.

Reagan, probably nothing much, but I'm not sure.

Interesting to think about.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      IMHO, Bush Sr. would have struck back at the correct nation. Clinton would have done nothing. Obama would have apologized and Trump would have gone to war with Saudi, closed the Gulf and squeezed them into submission.

Reagan, probably nothing much, but I'm not sure.

Interesting to think about.
      Which is the correct nation?
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Which is the correct nation?
        the pre 1935 Emirate of Asir....
        Last edited by marktwain; 16 Jul 19, 16:56.
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

I'd say

Reagan: We'd go to war with everyone involved. The only way off the hook would be for those countries to immediately, and very publicly, start massive round ups of suspected terrorists and their allies. Even then, it might not be enough to keep the US from invading. Reagan had a huge, expensive military. I suspect he'd be all about intimidation and backing that up with action. Reagan would likely loosely follow the then extant Weinburger Doctrine. If you look at the invasion of Grenada for example, that's how I see Reagan handling this, only on a much larger scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weinberger_Doctrine

Bush Sr. Probably close to Bush Jr., but I think he'd likely have held off initially on Iraq and focused on Afghanistan. If Iraq proved a problem / involved down the road it would get hit too. After all, Bush sr., had military experience, had been director of the CIA, so he knew how to handle such a situation properly.

Clinton. He'd most likely have made a half hearted attempt to take out the parties mostly by cruise missile and very limited ground involvement. It likely would have done little in the long run to change things. This was his pattern in Somalia, Kosovo, and with terrorism in the ME in general. Clinton's goal would be no US casualties on the ground before anything else.

Obama. He'd equivocate and weasel about how the US caused much of this in some convoluted way while saying he will get the criminals involved using the FBI and US criminal justice system. Nothing would happen and he'd be seen as a failure on this subject. Obama tried to use the courts and law enforcement to try and convict terrorists on several occasions. All were unmitigated failures. Remember his "Red line in the sand...?" That's typical. Getting bin Laden took him months to green light because he couldn't make a decision. The Arab spring? Another fiasco.

Trump. Hard to say. Could be anything from handling it much like Bush did to all but a nuclear war. I could see him making it out to be another "Pearl Harbor" and talking about full mobilization for WW III, then backing down from that as he gets more advice and information about what he proposes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X