Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good SF books ?

Some good SF books ?

These days, since a long time now, I read only historic and military books and magazines. But now I am a little tired and I would like to try something else. Since I watched Matrix Revolution I am very interested by science-fiction, but I don’t know a lot of thing about it, I don’t know what books are interesting, and which are the “must reads”. At the book shop there are a ton of SF books, and I don’t know which one I could choose. So if someone has some ideas about good SF books, I would be very interested.

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Originally posted by LaPalice
    Some good SF books ?

These days, since a long time now, I read only historic and military books and magazines. But now I am a little tired and I would like to try something else. Since I watched Matrix Revolution I am very interested by science-fiction, but I don’t know a lot of thing about it, I don’t know what books are interesting, and which are the “must reads”. At the book shop there are a ton of SF books, and I don’t know which one I could choose. So if someone has some ideas about good SF books, I would be very interested.

LaPalice.
    Dirty twelve is a SF?
    a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
      Dirty twelve is a SF?
      What is Dirty twelve ?

LaPalice.
      Mort devant Pavie.

Comment

Hello LaPalice,

Here go my favourites in that genre (both french and english titles when needed) in case you did not already know them (my two cents ) :
        Solaris / Stanislas Lem

Stalker : pique-nique sur le bord du chemin / par les frères Strugatsky
        Stalker : picnic by the roadside / Strugatsky brothers

You can also (if not read yet and if you enjoy long duration novels) pick up these two classics (in several volumes) :
        Dune / Frank Herbert
        Foundation / Isaac Asimov

All these (except Dune I think) can be found in paperback in French translation (chez Denoël).

Bonne lecture!

Nemo

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
          Hello LaPalice,

Here go my favourites in that genre (both french and english titles when needed) in case you did not already know them (my two cents ) :
          Solaris / Stanislas Lem

Stalker : pique-nique sur le bord du chemin / par les frères Strugatsky
          Stalker : picnic by the roadside / Strugatsky brothers

You can also (if not read yet and if you enjoy long duration novels) pick up these two classics (in several volumes) :
          Dune / Frank Herbert
          Foundation / Isaac Asimov

All these (except Dune I think) can be found in paperback in French translation (chez Denoël).

Bonne lecture!

Nemo
          Yes, I read Dune. But not Foundation. It may be a good idea. I read the robot series by Asimov, and I liked it a lot.
          I didn't know the Strugatsky brothers. I will see if I can find their book.

LaPalice.
          Mort devant Pavie.

Comment

Dirty Dozen (in movie by Savalas), but it was a joke.

I am strongly recommend Asimov Fundation series, too, but any other Asimov will be good.

Try Michael Crichton: Andromeda Strain (or any other of his book, e.g. Terminal man, of course Jurassic park, ...)

to be continued (at home)...
            a brain cell

Comment

Hmmmmmmm

Try
              The General a five book series by David Drake and SM Stirling. Good Mil-SciFI

Honor Harrington a good space opera series by David Weber

1632 and 1633 by Eric Flint. Very well written Sc-Fi/Alt history set during the 30 years war

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Poulnerre(Spell?). Damm good end of the world Sci-Fi

............Too many to list............
              "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Drake does Military SF, true, but it's not very good SF.

Asimov's Foundation series is great.

Some of the best of the genre is Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle when they write together, hands down. Lucifer's Hammer is good, but my favorite was Legacy of Herot. Also try The Mote in God's Eye, and Footfall.
                "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Hello,

You all know it's a cardinal sin not to mention the great Harry Turtledove work, The Worldwar Saga and Colonialization Saga with stories carried over from Worldwar Saga. It's about aliens, the Race, attacking Earth in midst of World War Two, which was real up to 1942 (at time of Khakov offense).

So Worldwar Saga is a combination of SciFi, Military, and Alternative History! A great read, if I may say so!

Dan
                  Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury is excellent, anything by Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov (The Foundation Trilogy).

Comment

The collected works of Donald Rumsfeld.
                      And we are here as on a darkling plain
                      Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
                      Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Originally posted by Brevet
                        The collected works of Donald Rumsfeld.
                        Uhhhmmm...the thread was titled SF books. Not "Macabre Horror"...
                        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                          Uhhhmmm...the thread was titled SF books. Not "Macabre Horror"...
                          Did you know how to spell Macabre, or did you have to look it up? That's a word that I would have to look up.
                          And we are here as on a darkling plain
                          Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
                          Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

Comment

Might I suggest the science fiction novels written by Iain M. Banks. They are like nothing else that I have read and have great convoluted story lines. They are set in the Culture universe featuring technologies that are very far from what we know, yet have characters that are easily related to. My two favourites are "Excession" and "Use of Weapons".

I agree with Mantis that one of the best SF novels written is "The legacy of Heorot" written by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle and Steven Barnes.

Just my two cents.
                            ...the troops of love are pulling out... (D.A.D.)

Comment

I just remembered "Earth " by David Brin is also very good.
                              ...the troops of love are pulling out... (D.A.D.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X