Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SF Series on TV... have they all faded away?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Series on TV... have they all faded away?

About ten years ago we had a real hay-day for Sci-Fi, in Television.

Babylon 5 had just wrapped up, Firefly was brief but the good die young. Star Trek was still going strong and there was that rather peculiar but fun Farscape that managed to end with a very intense movie.
    Even Stargate managed to limp along for over a decade.
    And, the greatest one of all; Battlestar Galactica, after the min-series it had 4 brilliant years.

What have we got now?

Nothing worth talking about, as far as I know of.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Eureka's in a new season, with yet another reshuffling of characters' roles. (Caveat: I've only watched 1/2 of the season opener.)
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

I'll agree with both of you. I'm still waiting for a new SG-1 series. But I'll probubly be in my grave befroe we see it huh ?

Comment

What about Doctor Who or Falling Skies?
        Silent Hunter UK
        Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

I don't agree with Battlestar Galactica being anything but not good, but I do agree that the sci-fi genre is really being neglected at the moment.

Fringe doesn't cut it. Eureka isn't any good...well, any SyFy show on right now isn't any good.

Just catch reruns of ST:TNG and Firefly and be patient until something finally materializes.

That's all I can hope for.

EDITED: @Silent Hunter: Doctor Who is never on enough (except for reruns, I should add that to the list, too), and this current overly long hiatus instigated by that idiot Moffat isn't helping things.

When its finally back on, that should help, if just a bit.
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I still haven't seen any Sci Fi on the new SyFy channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

In Britain the SyFy tends to be on the Horror channel which is good, because that channel is free. Firefly regularly appears there, as do the Alien Nation films .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

We can only hope so. Please take reality TV with ya be for you close the door.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                    EDITED: @Silent Hunter: Doctor Who is never on enough (except for reruns, I should add that to the list, too), and this current overly long hiatus instigated by that idiot Moffat isn't helping things.

Well, I'll admit I have watched Dr. Who... the David Tenant years anyhow.
                    To hell with the rest of it.
                    Dr. Who was a kid's show at heart, and what brought it back was the kids who grew up and decided they wanted more of the same.
                    Nothing wrong with that... but more and more of the same gets a bit dreary after 50 years.

Falling Skies?
                    I may have heard of it.... guess it didn't make much of an impression.
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

If anybody watches Fringe they , on ocasion , will give a nod to past Sc-Fi TV shows.
                      Example : In one show they had guest stars from the show First Wave and they talked like an episode of the First Wave .
                      In another they were in the future and they took Dr Bishop to a mental hospital . A security man stopped them on the street and asked for their number. When asking Bishop
                      " Prisoner what is your number. " He ansrwed
                      " I am not a number I am a free man " And there also others too numerious to mention here.

Comment

Yep I agree they also show wrestling .

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                          Well, I'll admit I have watched Dr. Who... the David Tenant years anyhow.
                          To hell with the rest of it.
                          Dr. Who was a kid's show at heart, and what brought it back was the kids who grew up and decided they wanted more of the same.
                          Nothing wrong with that... but more and more of the same gets a bit dreary after 50 years.

Falling Skies?
                          I may have heard of it.... guess it didn't make much of an impression.
                          I remember when Falling Skies was first previewed, and I was interested. Watched a little more than 15 minutes of part of the first episode. Couldn't tell anyone what happened now, it was that non-gripping. Am kinda suprised its still on.

Comment

Tracked SyFy (which is the medical shorthand for syphilis) for a week and found one(!) two hour movie, early on Sunday morning that could be wholly counted as a scifi movie. Same for the history channel, that same week had a single 1950s movie on early in the morning about ancient Greece. Lots of stuff about junk dealers, ghost hunters, witches, vampires, UFOS and off the wall interptitions of little known mythical events. And Wrestling.

Comment

Wrestling is the least of those as a problem. At least its entertaining, and doesn't pretend to be serious.

Comment

Working...
                              X