Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Star Wars should be left to the fans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why Star Wars should be left to the fans

    Why Star Wars should be left to the fans

    Fans of Star Wars are not happy. Someone has been tampering with their movie history, altering elements of those intergalactic classics, which some feel is akin to an act of vandalism.

    The fact that the perpetrator is George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars, only seems to make matters worse.

    "Yes Darth says No" Lucasfilm recently confirmed, according to the New York Times , which corroborated the story by posting the scene from the movie in which the 'event' occurs.

    For those of you not fully conversant with the drama that is Star Wars: Behind the Scenes - or The People v George Lucas as a recent documentary put it - there has been an ongoing furore about George Lucas meddling with his masterpieces.

    It all started back in 1997 when he gave the three original films - Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983) - a bit of a makeover.

    Not only did he clean up and repair the original prints; he also made several additions and alterations. Since when, an air of animosity between fans and founder has been circulating.

    The latest revision by Lucas (putting the word "no" into Darth Vader's concealed mouth during a tense scene during which he had previously been mute) elicited this angry (and strongly-worded) Twitter response from Simon Pegg, the Shaun of the Dead writer and star. The self-proclaimed nerd, like many Star Wars fans, has been profoundly affected by the franchise as he explains in this short conversation with Richard Bacon on BBC Radio 5 Live.

    It is this level of emotional connection to the original movies that has caused both Lucas and the movies' fans, so much grief.
    BBC - Full Article

  • #2
    Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    There ARE Argument both ways - but the Originals whould remain available.

    I have the first three Films on Video - and WILL be copying them to DVD.

    I also have the "Re-Mastered" Copies in a Boxed Set.
    The Boxed Set is better in a number of ways -

    BUT for instance, I think the closing scene of The Return Of The Jedi, with Luke, Han and the Wookies is better
    The music for instance is much more appropriate for a celebration which the Wookies are hosting, for their part in the feedom which they are all able to now enjoy.
    G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
    Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
    Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
    Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

    Comment


    • #3
      I have watched the originals when they came out in cimema release in 1977, 1980 and 1983, and i loved them, there was nothing wrong with them.

      However i have watched the Revamped cleaned up Director's Cut versions with added extras, and i thought they looked great. And more importantly they were on a mission to save the original prints.

      But this is a pure cash grab, it is like a relative of Leonardo da Vinci coming out and declaring that he has added an extra background to the Mona Lisa, because he felt like it needed a breath of fresh air. George Lucas has crossed the line, stop trying to fix an already classic.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
        I have watched the originals when they came out in cimema release in 1977, 1980 and 1983, and i loved them, there was nothing wrong with them.

        However i have watched the Revamped cleaned up Director's Cut versions with added extras, and i thought they looked great. And more importantly they were on a mission to save the original prints.

        But this is a pure cash grab, it is like a relative of Leonardo da Vinci coming out and declaring that he has added an extra background to the Mona Lisa, because he felt like it needed a breath of fresh air. George Lucas has crossed the line, stop trying to fix an already classic.
        Small quibble. It is like Leonardo himself redoing the Mona Lisa.

        While I don't agree with all of his changes, Lucas has the right to make them. Ultimately, the only penalty we fans can make Lucas pay is not purchasing the Blue-Ray.
        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
        George Mason
        Co-author of the Second Amendment
        during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

        Comment


        • #5
          'Remember it was Hans Solo who shot first.'

          I fed up with Lucas trying to make more money. Leave the original masterpiece alone.
          War is less costly than servitude

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
            Small quibble. It is like Leonardo himself redoing the Mona Lisa.

            While I don't agree with all of his changes, Lucas has the right to make them. Ultimately, the only penalty we fans can make Lucas pay is not purchasing the Blue-Ray.
            Exactly. The flanneled nerd god can do what he wants but I will not buy the blu ray. IMHO the expanded universe books are a better buy and has mostly good storytelling.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

            Comment


            • #7
              Closest thread ...

              Jedi DoJo, SF of course ...
              Feel the Force ...
              http://entertainment.msn.com/videopr...6-5282fbc0407d

              Comment


              • #8
                Flashback ~
                The original trailer;
                http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelinde...7-32a205c5c2f6

                OR
                http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...ailer/20pr82lz

                Comment


                • #9
                  Carrie Fisher confirms 'Star Wars' return
                  http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=848773

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Only belive it if Disney says it. The fans are sort of running it with the story group.
                    texjoy861 from youtube:

                    "Aaron Sorkin writes like a limousine liberal version of Ayn Rand. None of the characters sound remotely like human beings."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Star Wars VII cast announced;
                      'Star Wars: Episode VII' cast revealed: Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, John Boyega and more
                      http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=864641

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A different director and staff... ?

                        Does this mean that we will see good acting this time, and and a story that is above the level of cheap comic books?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                          A different director and staff... ?

                          Does this mean that we will see good acting this time, and and a story that is above the level of cheap comic books?
                          This is the director that gave us the last two stupid Star Trek movies.
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                          Prayers.

                          BoRG

                          http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            This is the director that gave us the last two stupid Star Trek movies.
                            it...

                            Where is Joss Whedon when you need him?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                              it...

                              Where is Joss Whedon when you need him?
                              Combine Firefly with Star Wars and, ahh hell forget it..........

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X