Japan in WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan in WW1

What would have happened if the Japanese had been allied with the Germans during WW1 instead of with the Allies? The Japanese played an important role in subduing the German colonies in the Pacific and their ships fought in the Meditteranean with the British. The Japanese Army at this point was a highly professional and trained force. The Japanese possed a powerful modern navy and even a small airforce. They were valuable alllies. However, how would things have turned out if Japan commited itself fully to a war against the Allies? Would it have been able to change the outcome of the war? Or would it have just been a minor nuisance to the Allies. Would the Japanese being on the Allied side have effected the United States entering the war? The Japanese combined with the German force at Tsingtao would have most certainly taken Hong Kong as well as most of the other British outposts in China. But then what? Would the British be able to stop them. Would the Royal Navy try to blockade Japan??? What are people's thoughts on this interesting question. How would Japan effect WW1?
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

I think you'd end up with a Pacific War happening even sooner... (all other things -Lusitania, Zimmermann, etc.) happening as they did) with the USN enacting Plan Orange (?). However, I'm not sure how that would end out... it would take years to take the fight to Japan-proper and there would be no air raids, no submarine net (granted Japan won't have her empire either yet)... I don't know, I think Japan might be stretched too thin and not have the material` they need to sustain the war once the US decided it was going to fight. The end result being some sort of negotiated peace where Britain loses some of her colonies and the US becomes the dominant force in Asia... until the Depression and isolation kick in since that can almost be guaranteed to happen (after all, who cares about 'over there' when we've got problems 'over here')... leading to a resurgent Japan, but one without the benefits of years of controlling Manchurian resources. While it easily leaves an opening for Japan to get into WWII and 'reclaim' what's hers, I'm not so sure they'd be a position to do so.
    If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I wonder if they would have invaded Russia from the East......
      There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
        I wonder if they would have invaded Russia from the East......
        That's what I was thinking. Japan would try to take some smaller British colonies, but I believe the bad blood between it and Russia would cause it attempt to take over Siberia. After that, it could probably turn its attention on the larger British Asian colonies.
        "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

Hmm....interesting..I wonder what the result would have been. Perhaps Russia would have collapsed much sooner and allowed the Germans to shift troops from the East to the West much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
            Hmm....interesting..I wonder what the result would have been. Perhaps Russia would have collapsed much sooner and allowed the Germans to shift troops from the East to the West much sooner.
            I'm sure it would have helped out Germany for sure. And then maybe the Germans wouldn't resort to unrestricted submarine warfare, therefore the U.S. wouldn't be able to enter the war. Though the British could still hold out indefinitely on the isles, no matter what happened on the continent. I just can't see Germany being able to launch an invasion of Britain.
            "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

No, I wouldn't think Germany would have the capability in WW1. Although they might have tried to blocakde it with submarines. Perhaps Britain would have surrendered?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
                That's what I was thinking. Japan would try to take some smaller British colonies, but I believe the bad blood between it and Russia would cause it attempt to take over Siberia. After that, it could probably turn its attention on the larger British Asian colonies.
                Japan might occupy some British territory, but I don't see the British allowing the Japanese to keep them. Despite the emergence of the Japanese Navy I still don't see them standing up to the Royal Navy for very long. The Japanese could not sustain/replace any losses as well as the British and quite frankly at this point in history were still in awe of the Royal Navy. If the Royal Navy were forced to transfer some of its Home Fleet to the Pacific it might encourage the German High Seas Fleet to be more aggressive, but it still would lack a numeric advantage. I think the Japanese viewed the German Pacific island holdings as "easy pickings", I cannot believe they would look at British possessions in the same light.
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

japan

Japan had no reason to join the Central Power. Its governement was pro-England/USA/France (until the mid '30s)
                  its Navy was pro-English

it could, as it did, help anti-communist actions in the Far east in 1918-1921 and try to grab some land

it had more to gain in grabbing german asian and pacific colonies
                  "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

That's true. Japan was very connected to Britain until the late twenties. But what would have happened IF they had joined the Central Powers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X