The Mexican-American War of 1863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mexican-American War of 1863

For three years the Amreicans have been in an argument about he same things , salvery and secession . But there is no secession because Stephen Douglas was elected in 1860 and not Abraham Lincolin . In Spain Queen Isabella II see her chance she forces Mexico to join her and take back the lands Spain lost because she sees America to be dis-jointed . So in April of 1863 the combined forces of Spain and Mexico cross the boarder into Texas, Arizona and California. The war begins during the war President Douglas sends Brigadier General George Crook to speak to the cheif's of the Comanchee and Apache nations and ask them for a truce . " Untill the invader has been thrown out. " They all agree and all during the war the Mexican and Spanish are harrased by Indian attacks . All Amerrican troops are armned with the new leaver action repating rifle inventd by B. Tyler Henry and manufactuerd by the Hartford arms company owned by Oliver Winchester .

Was Spain solvent at this time, or was the government treasury bankrupt again?

I've vague idea of what the USN was like, but what was the size, composition, and condition of the Spainish navy.

Was the Spainish government heavily influenced by France at the time? Napoleon III had his Mexican adventure underway in those years. Since Napoleon III was more or less solvent, had imperial ambitions, and a army he might be a better candidate for instigating and funding this adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
      Was Spain solvent at this time, or was the government treasury bankrupt again?

I've vague idea of what the USN was like, but what was the size, composition, and condition of the Spainish navy.

Was the Spainish government heavily influenced by France at the time? Napoleon III had his Mexican adventure underway in those years. Since Napoleon III was more or less solvent, had imperial ambitions, and a army he might be a better candidate for instigating and funding this adventure.
      If you wish you can run it that way go ahead use Napolien III . I'd also like to here from people on what they think Benito Juarez would do at that time and if they think the Indain raides would be of a help to the American army . You may also bring in other Indian nations if you wish .also let's hear from the people who know what the Spanish navy was like and what type of ships the Mexican navy had
      Last edited by Yankee; 16 Feb 11, 10:59.

Comment

NEWS ALERT , NEWS ALERT ! : I'm also giveng the US Navy the Two early Iron clads Monitor and the Merrimac also the experamentl submarine Hunley .

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
          NEWS ALERT , NEWS ALERT ! : I'm also giveng the US Navy the Two early Iron clads Monitor and the Merrimac also the experamentl submarine Hunley .
          Oh.... joy.

Spain had a program laid out in 1861 to put them ahead of the USA (specifically) and soon had massive, ocean-going ironclads, one had 40 guns.
          See Tetuan, Numancia
          I kinda doubt there would be much naval action in the conventional sense. I would guess that a multitude of Commerce raiders on both sides would be the real killers in this war, US merchantmen being especially vulnerable.
          The US had ships to hunt raider with, see Niagara.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
            How did they get the Merrimac since the CSA Virginia was not built. The monitors were devolped to fight the ACW. Very good chance they would not have ever been built without it.

So ok, the Union gets all 3. How are you getting them into Mexican waters? The are not seaworthy. Hunley It sank on it's first mission.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              The are not seaworthy. Hunley It sank on it's first mission.
              ... and it's last, and one in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                ... and it's last, and one in between.
                POINT!!!!!

Then it should have been it's 1 st combat mission.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  How did they get the Merrimac since the CSA Virginia was not built. The monitors were devolped to fight the ACW. Very good chance they would not have ever been built without it.

So ok, the Union gets all 3. How are you getting them into Mexican waters? The are not seaworthy. Hunley It sank on it's first mission.
                  They could be built and launched from Lousianna

Comment

The enemy fleet would have to be operating in US coastal waters, where a Hunley type sub, or monitors could get at them. If there was some sort of extended operation along the US coast would the opportunity arise. Perhaps a enemy landing on Florida, or the Louisiana coast?

Probablly the enemy fleet would have forward bases in Cuba & Puerto Rico, both Spanish colonies then, and on the Mexican coast. So, the US fleet would have to get out onto the blue water to get at them.

Spanish or French sponsoring this invasion... I wonder how Britain, with its prefrence for US cotton, would take a attempt to blockade or intercept trade into US ports? How long before the Royal Navy weighed in on this war?

Comment

Exactly Carl I was wondering how long Queen Victoria would wait until she protected her source of cotton . With the Spanish/ French armies controlling it she would have to call her Prime Minster ( Disralie or Galdstone ) and have a talk with him. I know that there were British troops in Canada they could be put on to railroad trains and rushed down south . Let's here from our British friends on this one .

Comment

The UK didn't do much for the Confederacy... not direct support.
                        Lots and lots of indirect support and monetary help by private subscription, but a lot of that came from aristocratic animosity towards the US and the hope of splitting that new-fangled Democracy in half.
                        Russia and Prussia were favorably disposed toward the Union in that war, but I doubt they would be much help no mater how willing.

We don't really need the help anyhow. Once we got ramped up the US would be fine, but it will be a rough year or two in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

We don't really need the help anyhow. Once we got ramped up the US would be fine, but it will be a rough year or two in the meantime.
                          Napoleon III trapped at Sedan by the combined armies of Gen Lee adroitly manuvering down from the Rheims area and McClellan marching northwards from Nancy. The Lighting Brigade with their Sharps repeater carbines guns down the last charge of the French Curisiers... Stuart's cavalry appearing on the Semois River cuts Napoleon III off from his last hope of escape.

Comment

That was magnificent you know as I read that I can see it . Okat here we go ;
                            Two Hawks and his Apache braves see a company of French cavalry rideing in a dry river bed to attack a unsupecting cavalry troop under John B. Hoods command in Texas . He orders his braves to attack and they ride down on the French coming with the sun behind them . The French Lieutenant Claude Montvieu can not see them untill it's too late and the Apaches attack him the French soilders can't get their carbines out

and they get cut down by the Apache's Henry's. Soon it hand to hand on foot and the Apache win the battle then each one of the Apache takes the French cavalry tunic and put them on and they also take their horses and sabers then Two Hawks rides up the hill and plants the French cavalry penent into the soil . The Apaches ride to report to Hood leaving the penent as a grave marker for other who come past .
                            Last edited by Yankee; 18 Feb 11, 08:32.

Comment

The French discuss who are more uncouth occupying army; the Russians in 1815 or the Americans in 1865. Cossacks vs Cherokee light cavalry? Line infantry drawn from the Serfs or from backwoods farmers? Artillery men recruited from the less savory neighborhoods of Kiev, or from East St Louis?

Of course this can be reversed. What would French soldiers make of rations foraged from New York, Virginia, or Mississippi farm land? Would the abandon the effort due to finding nothing fit for human consumption?
                              Last edited by Carl Schwamberg; 18 Feb 11, 12:29.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X