A North Korean victory proclaimed 60 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A North Korean victory proclaimed 60 years ago

On this 60th anniversary of the beginning of the "Korean Police Action", I thought it might be interesting to speculate on how history might have changed if North Korea had gained control of the Korean Peninsula. Considering the questionable sanity of the North Korean leadership, would they have begun considering themselves a new super power with new conquests on the horizon, possibly Japan? Would a major victory by a communist regime encourage even more aggressive moves by similar governments?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Actually, the North Korean leadership of the period was very pragmatic. They had judged Korea as to be outside the sphere of U.S. influence, particularly with the victory of Mao in Oct 49. Harry Truman decided that they were wrong. The Norks came close to victory. Assuming that they had somehow found to means to push on and take Pusan, they still would have faced the wrath of Harry Truman. So the second Phase of the Koran War would have opened at Incheon, with similar results, Likely followed up by further landings in the South (Pusan). I'm speculating that the war would have pretty much run a similar course, as Korea went back to being merely a theater of the hot Cold War.
    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
      On this 60th anniversary of the beginning of the "Korean Police Action", I thought it might be interesting to speculate on how history might have changed if North Korea had gained control of the Korean Peninsula. Considering the questionable sanity of the North Korean leadership, would they have begun considering themselves a new super power with new conquests on the horizon, possibly Japan? Would a major victory by a communist regime encourage even more aggressive moves by similar governments?
      Had the Pusan Perimeter been breached and the UN Forces been forced to evacuate South Korea, I could easily see the US make a formal declaration of war on North Korea. President Truman was no nonsense president, not some patsy of a neighborhood organizer.
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Yeah, if Pusan falls, it doesn't mean victory for North Korea by any means. It would have to take UN forces being pushed off the peninsula at least twice, (and without Chinese intervention for any North Korean thoughts of expansion which would be smashed anyways) for North Korea be be considered victorious.

And if they push Truman to declare war, the gloves really come off, and this could even make the Chinese intervention not happen.
        Кто там?
        Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
        Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X