Russo-Japanese War 1992

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nastle View Post
    These are good points, wasnt aware of it.

Even such fighter sweeps would not likely accomplish much since the russians will surely disperse their fighters and the Mig-25/31s would have the capability to accept and decline engagement depending on the circumstances.
    Exactly, the Japanese would have limited fuel, no tanker assets, and with little threat to no threat of airstrikes, the Russian interceptors could engage BVR, at ranges much further than the Japanese AIM-7s (unreliable missile anyways) if they chose to engage at all, the Russian SAMs would be up, and even if they don't hit the aircraft (that have no real jamming capability) the SAM breaks they would be pulling would burn up even more fuel. In fact this would be the perfect time for the Russian fighters to hit them.

The more I think about this the less and less likely to me it seems Japan could even pray to be successful.

They would have to train up their forces (completely in secret) for at least a year, somehow acquire technology that is seen as offensive in nature secretly and again train up on it. All for nothing in reality, some better fishing access? I don't think that would be worth the coming embargo and destruction of their economy.

Probably their best bet would be attack ships in harbor with their (9 or 10 at the time?) Yushhio Submarines, I think the first of their Harushio boats were commissioned by then too, if the achieved surprise it would be their best bet to take out the Russian shipping in theater early. At this time the Russian Pacific fleet spent most of the time in harbor. I just don't know the layout of the base they would be at to know if it is even possible for submarines to attack ships in port there.

But like I said, it just isn't worth the cost in the end.

If you really wanted to talk this out there is the more plausible (but still highly unlikely) scenario of a Soviet attack as part of some sort of attack on the US and Allies in the last gasp of the Soviet Union, but again highly unlikely, but would put the Japanese more on their game.
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post

If you really wanted to talk this out there is the more plausible (but still highly unlikely) scenario of a Soviet attack as part of some sort of attack on the US and Allies in the last gasp of the Soviet Union, but again highly unlikely, but would put the Japanese more on their game.
      I played that game. The winter 1985 itteration of the annual 'Cherry Mountain' map exercise. It involved 300+ division, corps, & army staff from the JSDF & US military. The ongoing scenario concerned a Soviet invasion of Hokkido with a reinforced army. Over fifty tables of 1:50,000 maps spread over a large hall, with partitions so the umpires could limit the intellgence. The ten day session I participated in the 3rd Marine Division was consolidating its beach head on the flank of the JSDF 5th Division. Around day six I got to organize a multi battalion artillery attack across the Div boundary to support the 5th Just when the bad guys thought they were out of range of the BB New Jersey my fire plan dumped several tons of 155mm across their support echelon in ten minutes. The air liasion followed up with some sorties available. All in all a tough moment for the Red Comrades

Comment

All of this makes me ask- how credible a deterrent is Japan's military? Bing entirely defensive with no offensive ability at all seems to e a serious weakness.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Interesting scenario, I think Japan could get the job done but not control the islands due to lack of ground troops and support.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
            All of this makes me ask- how credible a deterrent is Japan's military? Bing entirely defensive with no offensive ability at all seems to e a serious weakness.
            Agreed, the Japanese defense force is just that. Not a match for a world power even in total disarray. I also think the Chinese have interests in this area as well...

Comment

China would definately not like any show of strength by Japan.And if anything the Sino-Russian relations will improve as a result of this war

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X