WW3 turning into WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW3 turning into WW2

Do you think if we had a prolonged ww2, do u think the participants int he war would eventualy run out of money and gradualy start using ww2 style weapons and vehichles because they are cheaper to use. Let's say it was a 5 long year war. And by the second year losses of material were so high that it wasnt cost worthy to replace it. So instead of a jet, we go back to propellers. Instead of the new tanks, we use old shermans or something. Could that happen?
    PvtJohnson

Hold your ground men, hold your ground!

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

If your not mad enough to bare nuckel box, your not mad at all.

Re: WW3 turning into WW2

Originally posted by PvtJohnson
    Do you think if we had a prolonged ww2, do u think the participants int he war would eventualy run out of money and gradualy start using ww2 style weapons and vehichles because they are cheaper to use. Let's say it was a 5 long year war. And by the second year losses of material were so high that it wasnt cost worthy to replace it. So instead of a jet, we go back to propellers. Instead of the new tanks, we use old shermans or something. Could that happen?
    Interesting theory - kind of makes me think of the eternal war that's being waged between the three super-states in 1984.

Also, in the "Doctor Who" story - "Genesis of the Daleks", the planet Skaro had been embroiled in a 1,000 year war between the Thals and the Kaleds. They'd started out with atomics and chemical weapons and were reduced to spears, swords and machine guns by the end.

I don't see it happening quite like that here on Earth - most likely we'd have wiped each other out long before we got to that stage.

Today's Cheery Thought was brought to you by Doctor Sinister - the Supervillain who cares...

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Re: WW3 turning into WW2

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
      Interesting theory - kind of makes me think of the eternal war that's being waged between the three super-states in 1984.

Also, in the "Doctor Who" story - "Genesis of the Daleks", the planet Skaro had been embroiled in a 1,000 year war between the Thals and the Kaleds. They'd started out with atomics and chemical weapons and were reduced to spears, swords and machine guns by the end.

I don't see it happening quite like that here on Earth - most likely we'd have wiped each other out long before we got to that stage.

Today's Cheery Thought was brought to you by Doctor Sinister - the Supervillain who cares...

Dr. S.

Wait, wait, spears, swords, and machine guns. All at the same time? Hmm, how do you sign up to be on the machine gun crew. I'll leave the swords to Janos.
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Actually, it's a spear launching Apache... instead of 2.75" rocket pods, they have spear pods... and your MG... chucks all the rocks you can dump into it like a tennis ball serving machine...

Taking TW2000, Mad Max series, the Postman, (and yes Battlefield Earth and Reign of fire... the only redeeming qualities of the movies) and a dozen other post-apocalyptic movies as a model of limited nuclear warfare where civilization is destroyed but humanity survives... small groups tend to clump around working technology keeping it going as long as possible. Eventually, the most advanced stuff (aircraft and complex industry and devices) fail. True, you lose the ability to make Chobham armor, but that doesn't stop you from cutting it up and using as piece-meal armor on wheeled vehicles. Eventually, the know how to make the old high-tech dies off (think Gamma World and Rifts) and you end up again with patches of people clustered around high-tech areas and others reverting back to pre-industrial methods to survive (KKND:armed. Eventually either the techno-crats come forth and 'save the world' or they die off and everything starts over as people find stuff they know nothing about.

I don't think you're going to find a tech-level drop of WW3 back to WW2... more like WW3 back down to the pre-industrial 1800s and maybe worse. the wholesale destruction of industry and loss of technology doesn't knock you back a generation or two, it knocks you back hundreds of years to pre-industrial times.
        If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Agreed: WW3 to pre-industrial

Originally posted by chrisvalla
          I don't think you're going to find a tech-level drop of WW3 back to WW2... more like WW3 back down to the pre-industrial 1800s and maybe worse. the wholesale destruction of industry and loss of technology doesn't knock you back a generation or two, it knocks you back hundreds of years to pre-industrial times.
          Like when the Roman Empire finally caved in from 300-500 AD, the high tech that the Romans had developed from the Greeks was lost until at least the Renaissance (1500 AD or so).

Military and civilian tech such as the scorpion (small 2-man crew-served rock or strenghthened spear thrower), aqueducts, plumbing, fireproofing, highway building (including surveying, grading and laying multiple roadbed layers), technical/professional bureaucracies, and complex logistical systems -- all lost. Wasn't called "The Dark Ages" for nothing!

I bet if the FULL WW3 occured (not just a regional disaster, such as Korean Nukes or Pakistan/India Nukes or Middle East Nukes) -- we'd enter another Dark Ages; pre-industrial for sure.
          -Love Protects-

Comment

That makes perfect sense. We'd destroy so much that we would go "back in time" so to say. But i was trying to say if we were running out of money would we use less complex weapons and not the stuff we have today. Instead of a jet engine, we could make 5 propeller engines. Kinda like that.
            PvtJohnson

Comment

Re: WW3 turning into WW2

Interesting problem.

I think all the countries would continue to advance in military technology. Budgets don't matter in wartime...you make what you need to make and go into deficit. The guy who broke this cycle was Lyndon Johnson in the US, who broke the budget paying for guns and butter during the Vietnam War and we've never recovered.

My guess is that if WW2 had last until 1950, there would have been a few old Shermans floating around (only a few of them still in US service) and whatever the US had evolved by then would be fighting a mix of everything from PzKw Vs to VIIIs or XIs!
              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
              http://www.mormon.org
              http://www.sca.org
              http://www.scv.org/
              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

So basicly your saying is that we'd run what ever we had intot he ground. Then when all that was gone. We'd go broke, make a whole bunch of new weapons, then hopefully with that kick the hell out of the enemy so we don't go deeper into the hole?
                PvtJohnson

Comment

If there was an industrial base left to do it with, that's probably what would happen. Now as to the extent various nations involved would have had an industry left is a different question.
                  “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Look at Germany,Even though their numbers and industrial base was depleted,Their techknowledgy advanced right up until the end.
                    (And how many pieces of fiction have we all read that involved last-minute Third Reich wonderweapons that never got used and fell into the hands of a villian -Insert Dr Sinister joke here?)
                    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Re: Agreed: WW3 to pre-industrial

Originally posted by richa333
                      Like when the Roman Empire finally caved in from 300-500 AD, the high tech that the Romans had developed from the Greeks was lost until at least the Renaissance (1500 AD or so).

Military and civilian tech such as the scorpion (small 2-man crew-served rock or strenghthened spear thrower), aqueducts, plumbing, fireproofing, highway building (including surveying, grading and laying multiple roadbed layers), technical/professional bureaucracies, and complex logistical systems -- all lost. Wasn't called "The Dark Ages" for nothing!

I bet if the FULL WW3 occured (not just a regional disaster, such as Korean Nukes or Pakistan/India Nukes or Middle East Nukes) -- we'd enter another Dark Ages; pre-industrial for sure.
                      I'm wondering, what if the U.S. got the Missile Defense Shield up? And one big enough to stop everything, not just some rogue missiles. I believe once that happens, WWIII will happen. The only thing that's kept us from that is the presence of nuclear weapons.

Anyway, back to my question. What if it was a pretty conventional WWIII? Do you still think we might fall back? I tend to agree that we would continue advancing in technology, even if all the industry was destroyed.
                      "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

Re: Re: Re: WW3 turning into WW2

Originally posted by Overseer
                        Wait, wait, spears, swords, and machine guns. All at the same time? Hmm, how do you sign up to be on the machine gun crew. I'll leave the swords to Janos.
                        Yeah how exactly do Machine Guns match up with the swords and spears?
                        "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

So basicly your saying is that we'd run what ever we had intot he ground. Then when all that was gone. We'd go broke, make a whole bunch of new weapons, then hopefully with that kick the hell out of the enemy so we don't go deeper into the hole?
                          No, that's not what I'm saying.

What I said is that no one goes broke in wartime. You keep spending. The survival of the government depends on it, so they keep spending. You devalue your money. You seize lands and funds. Development and growth continue.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Governments have no problem destroying their economies to keep themselves alive... after all, you can always tax and rebuild after you've survived/won... if you don't survive, then it's not like you'll have to pay back everything you borrowed.
                            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Although a missile shield could lead to WWIII, I personally would feel safer because then many weapons that could wipe out civilization will be neutralized, or be forced to be used manually ie nukes from planes, artillery, and placed by hand (suitcase bombs)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X