Waffen-SS vs Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by llkinak View Post
    Tigers and Panthers are absolutely not needed. Mark IV's would serve very well and likely dominate any land engagements at which they were present.
    If it were up to me, I would want the Stug III that mounted a 105mm gun/howitzer. The Brummbar with a 150 would be better yet.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by llkinak View Post
      Tanks are just tanks, however they often provided very valuable support in the central pacific, even the south pacific at places like Guadalcanal and Buna / Gona which would on it's face seem to be horrible tank country. IIRC the allies were always happy to see them and were usually able to put them to very good use. Even Stuarts were capable of cracking strong points which up until their arrival had resisted. I think the tank factor should not be underestimated in an SS / Japanese hypothetical equation.

Tigers and Panthers are absolutely not needed. Mark IV's would serve very well and likely dominate any land engagements at which they were present.
      Sure, they were useful, and I didn't mean to imply that they weren't...however...just because tanks were used successfully in the PTO doesn't mean they were used the same way and in the same sort of concentration as in Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 88L71 View Post
        Sure, they were useful, and I didn't mean to imply that they weren't...however...just because tanks were used successfully in the PTO doesn't mean they were used the same way and in the same sort of concentration as in Europe.
        Well, they did pretty well in Manchuria in 1945, but it was over by then and everyone knew it. But I can see the point.
        The Japanese did not have the doctrine to deal with a Blitzkrieg.

Then again, the Germans had no way at all to deal with the kind of task-force that the Japanese could throw at them, either. The fleet that went after Pearl Harbor could have wrought incredible havoc on occupied France, Norway, or almost anywhere else they wanted to go.
        God help the Italians if they had ever had to meet Kurita's fleet...
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          Well, they did pretty well in Manchuria in 1945, but it was over by then and everyone knew it. But I can see the point.
          The Japanese did not have the doctrine to deal with a Blitzkrieg.

Then again, the Germans had no way at all to deal with the kind of task-force that the Japanese could throw at them, either. The fleet that went after Pearl Harbor could have wrought incredible havoc on occupied France, Norway, or almost anywhere else they wanted to go.
          God help the Italians if they had ever had to meet Kurita's fleet...
          No kidding. If a few Stringbags could do what they did at Toranto imagine the Pearl Harbor strike force. I can't see the Germans as having any chance on the naval side of the equation, none at all, even with U-boats. On land however it's a different story. Now, what would be very interesting would be Luftwaffe vs. IJNAF in 1941.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X