Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the Abrahamic religions didn't exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the Abrahamic religions didn't exist?

What would world history look like if Judaism, Christianity, and Islam never existed?
    Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
    But who's to judge the right from wrong.
    When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
    That violence breeds violence.
    But in the end it has to be this way.

Just a guess on my part, but I would imagine a much more peaceful place to live.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I wonder which Religions would rise in place of the Abrahamic religions. My guess would be that of the Greeks, Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Comment

Not sure do not forget there were a lot of blood sacrifice religions.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
          Not sure do not forget there were a lot of blood sacrifice religions.
          The Roman empire may have curbed their spread or eliminated them entirely, or at least within their sphere of influence.
          Last edited by Czin; 14 May 10, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Czin View Post
            The Roman empire may have curbed their spread or eliminated them entirely. In europe at least.
            The Roman were not exactly nice people.

What probably would have happened is that we would be worshipping the gods of whatever barbarian tribe enforced its hegemony on western europe. As for the east only God knows.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Buddism would have a greater impact in Europe and the middle east coexisting with native Gaelic religions.

Religious Wars would still occur.

Comment

I don't think there would have been much difference. There would have been offshoots from Persian and Babylonian Philosophy that would have been developed in a similar matter to the Abrahamic religions. In fact, the Jewish religion was significantly impacted by these traditions where culture and civilization pre-existed that of the Jews. I think Egyptian religion and culture would also have been involved, to a lesser extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  Just a guess on my part, but I would imagine a much more peaceful place to live.
                  Yes, 'cause the world was a very peaceful place before, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                    Yes, 'cause the world was a very peaceful place before, right?
                    Considering how old the Jewish religion is, goes back the early ages of written history. Then we would have different history books today. What would be in then, unknown.

One thing I do know. Many of the wars that have been fought had a religious background as the cause. No different than the present ones and even the Cold War. Godless commies wanting to take over the World.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I'm not denying the fact that religion is behind many of the conflicts, I'm just saying it has nothing to do with it being monotheistic or not.

War was there before Abraham, it was there before religion too and it will still be here way after us.

Unfortunately it is human nature.

Comment

Indian and Persian religious ideas had been creeping into the the Eastern Roman empire, perhaps those would have gained some traction? In the Roman Empire the older state associated pagan religions were sharing space with a variety of 'Mystery' religions when Christianity appeared. Early Christianity was influenced in several ways by the Mystery cults. Perhaps those might have produced some sort of new state religion?

As the Roman empire collapsed the Christian Bishops of Italy would not have been there to produce the Papacy & the unifying idea of a Christian state entity that influenced European politics for another millenia. Perhaps some other religious group would have filled that role?

Comment

world would be a better place - and after a millenia or so of Roman hegemony - the Barbarians would have been kicked back - and Roman politheism would be ruling the west, with hindouism as a nother religion, probably stronger in the east.

no chuch, no commie-***** christian ideology to add to the empire weakness, no jews (I wont' go into that), no muslims (wont go into that either), just happy people finding other reasons to slaughter themseleves (well, when not defying pax romana - or not in imperial succession struggles)

we all now speak latin
                          "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

It's nice how people automatically assume the Roma empire would even exist, obviously the entire course of history would have changed without recognition.

Also nice how people forget that war, slaughter, abuse, etc. are apparently and unfortunately human nature and have nothing to do with religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                              Also nice how people forget that war, slaughter, abuse, etc. are apparently and unfortunately human nature and have nothing to do with religion.
                              So is religion just the excuse so many use, or what? Please don't misunderstand, I'm not debating that humans have been killing each other for our entire existance whether religiously motivated or not. However to say relgion has nothing to do with war, salughter and abuse ignores the facts of the matter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X