England wins the hundred years war and annexes France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England wins the hundred years war and annexes France

Consider this a subset of the King henry V lives thread.

Let's say the english win the hundred years war, ending France's independence for the rest of human history as the Pope gives his approval and recognition of England's conquest and the french people willingly accept English rule. How greatly would this affect human history.

Notes: This is not a question of if England could win, this is a question of what would happen if England had won and managed to take France permanently.

For simplicity's sake lets say they attained victory upon the 50th year of the war.
    Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
    But who's to judge the right from wrong.
    When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
    That violence breeds violence.
    But in the end it has to be this way.

Originally posted by Czin View Post
    Notes: This is not a question of if England could win, this is a question of what would happen if England had won and managed to take France permanently.
    I'm never one to tolerate the 'Defeating X was impossible.' Nothing's impossible, but some outcomes are more likely than others. That said, there's a huge difference between Winning the 100 (50?) Years War and France never rising again. To my mind to keep the French down would require Anglicization, the replacement of French culture with English culture. This is not impossible, the Greek populace of Anatolia devolved quite readily into Turks, but the Turks were some of the most brutal masters in the history of Islam, and that's saying a lot.

The biggest short term effect is that Franco-England will be drawn into the politics, if not the wars of the Continent. Here, there are two possibilities, the English find the Scots without a capable ally, and crush them utterly, or French duchies continuously revolt not for patriotism, but retaining their vast powers in their fiefs. England had this problem but IIRC it was much worse in France. Burgundy was the big one to watch out for. Other than, not much competition outside the Kingdom, at least not until the rise of the Hapsburg's and the unification of of Spain.

The other (but lesser) ramification, is that England wins under Richard II. That would assure that the senior line of the Plantagenets would go on for at least another generation. Henry the V never takes the throne because his father would not be able to dispose Richard.

The biggest issue of all though is religion. England was not particularly anti-Catholic and went plodding along into Protestantism under Henry VIII. There may be no monarch willing to do that. Of course, maybe there would be. If the English monarch represses Protestantism, he could win and the British Isles would be as Catholic as France technically is. Or he could be compelled by his nobles to grant toleration. I believe though there would be a protestant England cause I don't think history is totally random. In that case, Calvinism was HUGE in France, and this means that the Calvinists in the isles would be backed by the Calvinists in France, and if there was a Commonwealth type experience, the ways of the Puritans might have been made to stick, and the more 'Anglican' and Catholics types would head to the Americas to live without fear of persecution. Past that the variables be so many it's kinda impossible to make any predictions, unless of course you plot things that make that world come around to a position more like ours.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X