Post-War Japan without Hirohito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-War Japan without Hirohito

It is August 15, 1945. Japanese Emperor Hirohito has just listened to the broadcast of his recorded speech to the Japanese people. After he makes sure the whole broadcast has been played, he commits ritual suicide. How does this affect Post-War developments in Japan?
    For the most part the way it did.
    36.36%
    Japan develops without the liberalizations pushed by MacArthur
    0.00%
    Japan develops a stronger communist movement.
    0.00%
    Elements of the Japanese army on the Asia mainland continue to fight
    18.18%
    The Emperor system is taken away by the US, as they don't think the people will rally around the Crown Prince
    9.09%
    The Crown Prince and other members of the royal family are killed
    0.00%
    Japan continues to develop as democracy, further than in did fact once the US backed off liberalizaton
    0.00%
    There is serious unrest in Japan which the US brutally surpresses when it lands
    18.18%
    There is some unrest in Japan, but when the US lands it stops
    9.09%
    Other
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
    It is August 15, 1945. Japanese Emperor Hirohito has just listened to the broadcast of his recorded speech to the Japanese people. After he makes sure the whole broadcast has been played, he commits ritual suicide. How does this affect Post-War developments in Japan?
    he had better wait a few days or weeks. The hard case army officers were reluctant to follow the governments decision & the loss of the emperor might 'complicate' the surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
      he had better wait a few days or weeks. The hard case army officers were reluctant to follow the governments decision & the loss of the emperor might 'complicate' the surrender.
      My thinking was that if he committed suicide to atone for the loss, the effect on the average citizen would be greater if it was done right after the broadcast.

I imagine it's possible that there would have been such continued fighting that the US would have dropped another bomb, although I'm not sure there were any ready for use as of August 15 or so.

Comment

My thinking was that if he committed suicide to atone for the loss, the effect on the average citizen would be greater if it was done right after the broadcast.

I imagine it's possible that there would have been such continued fighting that the US would have dropped another bomb, although I'm not sure there were any ready for use as of August 15 or so.
        I get the feeling that the loss of face to the average Japanese would have been enormous, and many might have followed him to try and atone for letting him down.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
          I get the feeling that the loss of face to the average Japanese would have been enormous, and many might have followed him to try and atone for letting him down.
          I'm no expert on the culture, but I don't think the average Japanese would have considered ritual suicide. Maybe some of the Japanese leadership would have felt under pressure to do it (I know Tojo did shoot himself when he was about to be arrested, but the bullet missed his heart). I don't think the suicides of some of the leaders would have bothered the US.

Comment

Operation Downfall would have happened and it would have been a very long war. Hell it might even be going on today!

Comment

Could you specify why the emperor would commit seppuku? I dont know of a single one that did, it usualy was done when one had dishonored his family (the emperor was a son of the heavens, he was unable to sin) or if one failed ones superiors (theres nothing above the emperor: he, the japanese people and the japanese islands are like a holy trinity. the same yet not.)

If he would have made a speech beforehand that could somehow indicate that the military failed him and thus japan... i would tend to decapitation of the japanese military leadership.
              Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
              Wirft über Land und Meer
              Weithin der deutsche Aar
              Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
                Could you specify why the emperor would commit seppuku? I dont know of a single one that did, it usualy was done when one had dishonored his family (the emperor was a son of the heavens, he was unable to sin) or if one failed ones superiors (theres nothing above the emperor: he, the japanese people and the japanese islands are like a holy trinity. the same yet not.)

If he would have made a speech beforehand that could somehow indicate that the military failed him and thus japan... i would tend to decapitation of the japanese military leadership.
                On the principle that Japan had been completely defeated, ultimately, like no other nation had ever been before, due to the A-bombs. Exceptional situations call for exceptional actions, and this would have signaled to the Japanese people the responsibility he felt for what happened (assuming he felt responsibility) and would have been a start as to putting the blame on himself.

Comment

On the principle that Japan had been completely defeated, ultimately, like no other nation had ever been before, due to the A-bombs. Exceptional situations call for exceptional actions, and this would have signaled to the Japanese people the responsibility he felt for what happened (assuming he felt responsibility) and would have been a start as to putting the blame on himself.
                  Considering the attitude that modern japanese have to their WWII past I'll say that the chances that the japanese in the time feel any responsibilities are slim. After all they were merely freeing their asian brothers from white colonialization and unite asia under the most worthy asian, the japanese and their god-emperor.
                  Also, as said the emperor and the japanese people and the japanese islands are a kind of trinity. They are inseperable, and every single japanese is a descendant from the gods but only the emperor is a living god. Its not as if the emperor could or even was supposed to feel that he had wronged his people. How could he? He is his people and his people are him. Thats why when he said its over, it was over. And when he, through his officers, told people to die for the country, they died for the country.
                  Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
                  Wirft über Land und Meer
                  Weithin der deutsche Aar
                  Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X