Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the author of this been sniffing glue?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has the author of this been sniffing glue?

    How's this for a whacky alternative history?
    http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Gre...hland_Siegt%29
    "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
    "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
    Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

  • #2
    Interesting. I've had games of HOI2 go like that.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by At ease View Post
      How's this for a whacky alternative history?
      http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Gre...hland_Siegt%29
      Something smells that's for certain! But I've read worse.
      Signing out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
        Interesting. I've had games of HOI2 go like that.
        Ah, yes,... HOI2.

        Where I attacked Poland in 36 (the allies did nothing), defeated Russia in 38 (the allies did nothing), conquered France in 39 (the English did nothing), invaded England in 40 (the US did nothing) and in 1941 landed in Nova Scotia and have been driving through New Brunswick and into southern Quebec with nice pz units (the US still doing nothing).

        Meanwhile, free Ukraininas with some panzers on loan drove through Persia, took India, Burma and only stopped at the Thai border. In Africa, the Italians have reached the Congo in the west and the eastern parts of South Africa in the east. There is big mass of South African, New Zealand and Australian divisions in south central Africa about to be encircled and poor Britain has its capital in,... Ceylon.

        Talk about wonky alt history
        The Purist

        Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Purist View Post
          Ah, yes,... HOI2.

          Where I attacked Poland in 36 (the allies did nothing), defeated Russia in 38 (the allies did nothing), conquered France in 39 (the English did nothing), invaded England in 40 (the US did nothing) and in 1941 landed in Nova Scotia and have been driving through New Brunswick and into southern Quebec with nice pz units (the US still doing nothing).

          Meanwhile, free Ukraininas with some panzers on loan drove through Persia, took India, Burma and only stopped at the Thai border. In Africa, the Italians have reached the Congo in the west and the eastern parts of South Africa in the east. There is big mass of South African, New Zealand and Australian divisions in south central Africa about to be encircled and poor Britain has its capital in,... Ceylon.

          Talk about wonky alt history
          Well glad I did not buy that game. Almost did a couple weeks ago.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by At ease View Post
            How's this for a whacky alternative history?
            http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Gre...hland_Siegt%29
            It's badly done. I'll give it that. It's pretty much a history of Nazi Germany with the occasional modern comment. I do like that the 110 year old Martin Borman is still head of the Government.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

            That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by The Purist View Post
              Ah, yes,... HOI2.

              Where I attacked Poland in 36 (the allies did nothing), defeated Russia in 38 (the allies did nothing), conquered France in 39 (the English did nothing), invaded England in 40 (the US did nothing) and in 1941 landed in Nova Scotia and have been driving through New Brunswick and into southern Quebec with nice pz units (the US still doing nothing).

              Meanwhile, free Ukraininas with some panzers on loan drove through Persia, took India, Burma and only stopped at the Thai border. In Africa, the Italians have reached the Congo in the west and the eastern parts of South Africa in the east. There is big mass of South African, New Zealand and Australian divisions in south central Africa about to be encircled and poor Britain has its capital in,... Ceylon.

              Talk about wonky alt history
              I enjoyed playing as Russia. Captured a host of Asian lands in 36-41, no one did anything to stop me. Captured most of China by mid 41, again no response. Lost absolutely no divisions to Germany during their historical invasion. Stopped it in late 1941 and immediately began a steamroller campaign to conquer Europe. Took over the Fatherland in 1943. Conquered Italy in 44. Halfway across France and the low countries in mid 45 when I met the first Allied Unit.
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by craven View Post
                Well glad I did not buy that game. Almost did a couple weeks ago.
                I've got the original HoI. It's a game, not a sim (or even an attempt at a sim) and whilst fun won't tell you anything about WW2.
                Signing out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is from the alternative history timeline in Fatherland by Robert Harris. It look very much like it to me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                    This is from the alternative history timeline in Fatherland by Robert Harris. It look very much like it to me.
                    You are probably right. I haven't read that for many a year and I probably won't again as I found it quite pulpy but a couple of things in the wiki article triggered a vague memory or two.
                    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

                    That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      I enjoyed playing as Russia. Captured a host of Asian lands in 36-41, no one did anything to stop me. Captured most of China by mid 41, again no response. Lost absolutely no divisions to Germany during their historical invasion. Stopped it in late 1941 and immediately began a steamroller campaign to conquer Europe. Took over the Fatherland in 1943. Conquered Italy in 44. Halfway across France and the low countries in mid 45 when I met the first Allied Unit.
                      That doesn't sound right at all. I've played HoI2 in the past and every time I took a big decision the reaction was there and it was painful. Maybe you should check what game options your game is set on (difficulty, historical/non-historical etc.).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Imperial View Post
                        That doesn't sound right at all. I've played HoI2 in the past and every time I took a big decision the reaction was there and it was painful. Maybe you should check what game options your game is set on (difficulty, historical/non-historical etc.).
                        Same here... I played the HoI 2 (Armaggedon expansion), I played it long and hard, and while its certainly not a simulator what was described by the Purist and TacCovert I thought to be completely impossible whithout codes or something.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ok, in HOI2 (no doomsday), the Germans are pretty locked into their historical campaign. Therefore I knew pretty much exactly when and where their attack would go in, and I had kill sacks planned accordingly, with only a few 'tripwire' divisions on the border. My main strength was ready and waiting to counterpunch en masse, and it worked out.

                          As for the asia thing, you just have to be careful not to declare war on too many countries too fast. So long as you don't do that, the allies don't get involved and your dissent doesn't get too high. You already know when the Germans are going after you, so until then you can deploy a good sized army to the conquering of Asia, just make sure they're back a couple of months before the krauts invade and you're fine.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            HOI2 Doomsday. I just keep freeing the conquered states to lower my beligerancy. I have Waloonians and Flanderines garrisoning England, Belorussians, Imperial Russians and Poles guarding the Asian borders with the rump of the USSR, as noted, the Ukrainians are in Burma, Austrians are backing the Italians in Africa, Czechs are massed to reinforce the Germans in North America.

                            the German military is actually quite small for the amount of territory held. Most of the fighting is being done by 'allied forces' and I have loaned out a good portion of the panzer and pz gr divisions.

                            It all got a bit silly in the end but I haven't deleted the game quite yet. Some day i hope to go back to it and swamp the US under with a tide of Italians, Waloonians and those Flanderine infantry divisions.
                            The Purist

                            Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I didn't mean to siderail the thread, sorry.

                              Arsenal of Democracy is the newest iteration of the HOI 2 engine and has solved many of the issues with the original game. Paradox sold the rights to some modders and AoD is what they came up with. Check it out:
                              http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...play.php?f=462
                              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X