• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Birmingham Axis Of Time series

Suggest you try the books by John Brimingham Axis of Time Series
    Weapons Of Choice
    Designated Targets
    Final Impact

Navy carrier group from 2021 finds itself back just prior to the battle of Midway is where the series starts. I found them a very interesting read. The plot is somewhat similar to "Final Countdown". The books almost need to be read in chronology order. I should mention that different ships of the battle group are scattered throughout the world. Russian, Germany, Japan and the United States find themselves with advanced technology. The books not only deal with the advanced technology but also the social/political impact of the people from the future on the 1940's population, especially in the United States.
    Last edited by FTCS; 06 Feb 10, 11:10.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Isn't this the same series where the Soviets take over EVEN more of Europe than they did historically, this time with modern weaponry? Personally I would enjoy a Yank wank (America conquers all) far more, one where the story ends with The Triad of Evil (Japan, Germany and Russia) are all defeated and the Cold War is stillborn, as the world is free and heading more towards freedom. This is why I won't read the Draka series EVER. I demand a happy ending; it's not worth my time otherwise.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Originally posted by Wolery View Post
      Isn't this the same series where the Soviets take over EVEN more of Europe than they did historically, this time with modern weaponry? Personally I would enjoy a Yank wank (America conquers all) far more, one where the story ends with The Triad of Evil (Japan, Germany and Russia) are all defeated and the Cold War is stillborn, as the world is free and heading more towards freedom. This is why I won't read the Draka series EVER. I demand a happy ending; it's not worth my time otherwise.
      Agreed. Happy endings are insanely rare in the Real World, and I dont read fiction to indulge in some doomsday fetish either... but I guess politics has a large part in what some folks consider a "good" ending.

A surprisingly good ending... now that's something worth remembering!
      Not the least because it's so rare...
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

It is a great series.

Wolery-I don't recall that the Soviets took over more territory but it has been a while since I read the series. I hope Birmingham revisits this series in a Cold War setting.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

OMG I LOVE THOSE BOOKS!!! He has 2 new books coming out later this year (2010), right?!

on above post:I wrote an alternate history novel of the cold war...its kind of shorter than most (about 110 pgs. at least), but I had a shorter time limit, but anyways, it's about a large multinational force going to the philippines to help against "The Converters," a new Islamic terrorist organization that controls much of southeast Asia. A French ship in the fleet is also in the final stages of totally patenting their wormhole by testing sonobouys. They successfully test one of them, but on the second, the wormhole is too energized, and sends the fleet to 1986...

I'll make a thread for it someplace, stay tuned!
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X