Allies vs USSR 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craven View Post
    Cant tell you how much was of a draw down there was but they were shipping Division to the Pacific at that time. The invasion of Japan was gonna make D day look small if i remeber correctly.

As I recall, Operation Olympic, the invasion of Honshu ( the 2nd phase of Operation Downfall, the invasion of Japan ) was scheduled tenatively for March 1946, pending the successful conclusion of Operation Coronet, the invasion of Kyushu. While the invasion of Normandy involved 5 beaches,
    the invasion of Honshu was to involve 28 beaches ( named after
    American automobiles )!!! A deliberately modest estimate of casualties
    of 290,000 was set by MacArthur's staff....
    Last edited by Guderian; 08 Dec 09, 05:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
      Must be, the properties of those damn trees still give me troubles.
      Green bars block LoS except in cases where there is a height advantage, & the pieces in not directly behind the Green bar. I recall you do not have a proper game map?

I should convert to the AIW rules or Peter Roger's rules. Either is a bit more intuitive that the old PB/PL rules.

But dont feel to bad. Last one of these I was a player my Tiger tank battalion attacked into a woods that I was completely unaware of

Comment

Originally posted by Guderian View Post
        As I recall, Operation Olympic, the invasion of Honshu ( the 2nd phase of Operation Downfall, the invasion of Japan ) was scheduled tenatively for March 1946, pending the successful conclusion of Operation Coronet, the invasion of Kyushu. While the invasion of Normandy involved 5 beaches,
        the invasion of Honshu was to involve 28 beaches ( named after
        American automobiles )!!! A deliberately modest estimate of casualties
        of 290,000 was set by MacArthur's staff....
        Oh that's not the worst of it. MacArthur 's real estimate was 1,000,000 American casualties. This may seem outrageous, and it has been argued. Then again, for everything negative said about Mac's command, his casualty estimates were known for being eerily accurate in the island hopping campaign. My grandpa was slated to be first wave on Kyushu and has told everyone who will listen that the A-bombs saved his life and the lives of virtually everyone on the first wave. He said the Marines who were being briefed for it knew that they were going to die. And the way he tells it, it's like how Paul probably described meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus, the conviction (and fear) never waver.
        How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
        275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

I wonder why no one here pondered why the SU was supposed to start another war after losing 27 million people and a half of its prewar industriral capacity?
          Indeed! The USSR was exhausted at the end of the war and substantial forces were already being sent to the Far East for the proposed invasion of Manchuria (a substantial portion of the subsequent 1,500,000 man invasion force). Stalin had essentially gotten all he wanted at Yalta. Japan was already a non-factor. They couldn't have used their Chinese army because there were no ships to bring them to the home islands. Additionally I think the US and certainly Great Britain were exhausted as well and the American public would not have taken happily to extending the war indefinitely and it would have definitely been "indefinitely". The A bombs would have been non-factors. There were no targets in the Soviet Union that hadn't already been devastated far worst and the only sensible use might have been troop concentrations none of which would have bothered Stalin in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            Basically, Stalin wins nothing by going on the offensive against the West in 1945 and he knew it.
            Not to mention that, to be frank, the Soviet Union was not a nation capable of another extended war. 20,000,000+ people, or about 14% of its 1939 population, were dead. The German invasion had left every major Soviet city devastated, and the land between the front lines and the Soviet Union were likewise left ruined.

Compare that to the United States, who lost only about .4% of its population in the war and was left with an untouched homeland. Not to mention it held superior air power and the nuclear bomb.

If the USSR did launch the war I have no doubt they would have some early successes, but although the USA was already demobilizing it could still easily re-mobilize those troops and have them back in Europe within weeks. Not to mention new recruits and the like.

The Soviet Union just couldn't have won a plausible World War Three.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X