Conventional Cold War gone hot: Berlin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rom87 View Post
    I have a question would Nato actually go over the top and use nukes to stop the Soviet spearheads or is it more likely a scare tactic simply because of the escalation and retaliation this would surely bring upon Nato.
    My recollection at the time was that the Americans, with the exception of the Carter presidency, was expected to do so. The British and French seemed serious about their willingness, as well. The Germans, understandably, were less anxious to nuke their own terrirtory.

The Soviets apparantly took the liklihood seriously enough to have desant and Spetsnatz specifically tasked to the tactical nuke launch sites as well as chemical strikes on the NATO air bases which would be launching nuclear strikes.

The Soviet intelligence also went into full propaganda mode as might be recalled from those who remember the enhanced radiation warheads, i.e the neutron bomb which would kill large armor formations without leaving long periods of fallout to deal with. The line from the "peace movements" of the time was that they were designed to kill people without damaging buildings, i.e. "capital".
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

I think three brigades of mostly infantry and support troops. One US, one UK and one French (how long they would last is another question). As for Artillery, unknown. I believe they had some tank support, but not much.
      In Vino Veritas

Comment

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brigade

and as further signs of how things were:

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.as...63867&mpage=13
        In Vino Veritas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Tuebor
          Whitmer Again
          by Tuebor
          Sigh...

Not really a surprise. She and her family reportedly vacationed on Mackinac Island over Easter, and vehicles have been...
          Today, 16:26
        • wolfhnd
          Do you expect a second wave of Covid 19
          by wolfhnd
          This is the third installment of my guessing game. It is for the U.S. specifically irrespective of regional differences in 2020.

Apparently...
          We will see a modest spike in July or August
          0%
          We will see a modest spike in October through December
          100.00%
          There will be a significant spike in October through December
          0%
          There will be a large second wave, time frame unspecified.
          0%
          Today, 15:47
        • Massena
          Trump Threatens...
          by Massena
          ...to pull the Republican National Convention from Charlotte, NC...

Please do.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/poli...
          Today, 12:30
        Working...
        X