CWiE - Up in the WWII Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWiE - Up in the WWII Forum

Ok,… at the risk of creating train wreck I have decided to offer all of us WWII nuts a chance for a bit of fun (that’s why this is here and not down in Alt Hist,… at least for now). Last winter I purchased Computer War in Europe (CWiE) but did not get around to actually loading it until recently. The folks at Decision Games did an excellent job. With all the “what if” and other discussions about the war I thought I would offer to moderate a campaign game where the mob here forms the three high command staffs.

Now, the game is far too involved for any team to actually control the movements of particular units (the game scale is division and brigade with 33 km hexes and weekly turns). Instead the staffs will design grand strategy, over all troops deployments, production decisions and who and when to invade (if you are the axis). This means I’ll have to do the actual movement of the units and resolution of the battles. The game system isn’t perfect (none are) and it won’t prove or disprove any theories but it does have some interesting historical restrictions and options that does give one a feel for the high level action. Most importantly, it has a relatively basic but very functional logistics and attrition system that prevent our pixelated armies from doing thing real armies could never have accomplished.

If we can get three teams together I’ll simply run the game (not taking part in the decisions) and do my chatting with the designated ‘Chief of Staff’ from each of the three teams. I’ll also talk with the mods about setting up a few stickies either here or down in Alt History where I can post screen shots of the map and others where the staffs can hash out their plans in their usual calm and thoughtful ways. Once we know if this will go forward (we really only need three wannabe Generals) I can explain a few things about the game in more detail.

Not sure where the threads will be yet. If the mods allow it could remain in WWII or be sent down here to Alt Hist. As of now there is about four volunteers so I'll start the various briefinging this weekend and get them posted.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Will it be run from here, or the other thread?
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
      Will it be run from here, or the other thread?
      Stay tuned on that. Up to the mods.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

I could check this myself, but is this game Mac friendly?

Comment

I would be interesting in this.

Comment

Do we need the game?
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
              Do we need the game?
              Nope, just your input into your teams over all strategy. Ill post a few more screenies tomorrow that show the map scale, terrain and units.

In the meantime I'll be chat with the mods about the necessary stickies and maybe we can get the preliminaries done by the end of this week. The game turns are one week each,... four to each month (28 days per month) and 13 months per year (called cycles).
              The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                Nope, just your input into your teams over all strategy. Ill post a few more screenies tomorrow that show the map scale, terrain and units.

In the meantime I'll be chat with the mods about the necessary stickies and maybe we can get the preliminaries done by the end of this week. The game turns are one week each,... four to each month (28 days per month) and 13 months per year (called cycles).
                Gerry, did you receive my and Wes's PMs?

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                  Gerry, did you receive my and Wes's PMs?
                  Yep,... just haven't quite sorted out what is needed at this point. I'll PM you both later this evening when I get home.
                  The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                    I could check this myself, but is this game Mac friendly?
                    I wish it was,...then I could retire my old PC. Unfortunately I have to keep it (and will upgrade it) for the only two games I play these days,.... CWiE and Empires in Arms (Napoleonic Grand Strategy,... much fun).
                    The Purist

Comment

Eh well... Perhaps I'll be able to pick up a abandoned PC somewhere. If this were a bit more a of a role playing arraignment folk W/O PC could sit in on a team, but it looks like the game program is necessary here.

Comment

Actually it looks like I'll be running the only game. The staffs will be feeding me with their strategy (military and production) which I will have to tranaslate into moving armies about. The actual movemnt of the units is too involved for either team to do more than give (operational) instruction. The teams will literally be "staffs", giving orders and then pacing back and forth in their HQs awaiting after action reports.

Even if we had three games the results would be similar only each team could discuss a turns moves before one player executed the overall plan. We'll run a test scenario before the big show to see how this will work. Perhaps Case White.
                        The Purist

Comment

I'm fine with that, after all- "staff" operations mean working with a team. I kinda pity the fellow that goes it alone without someone to bounce his ideas off of.

Translating our broad strokes into reality is going to mean a lot of work for you, however. Would you prefer us to err on the side of simplicity, or exactitude?
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Is it too late to try and join a team?

Comment

Originally posted by Demon_Llama View Post
                              Is it too late to try and join a team?
                              Nope,... I'm targeting this Sunday for kick-off but stay tuned.
                              The Purist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X