Perfect Armoured Division ETO 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Armoured Division ETO 1944

Imagine you are in charge of a liberated Western European country in June 1945, and want to create an armoured division. You would be limited to kit that could be supplied by the winners, ie able to acquire kit about a year old, and not Centurions, Pershings or JS-III's for example. Therefore, with hindsight, what would be your perfect armoured division for the ETO in 1944? Would you just copy a US or CW units kit and organisation, or make wholesale changes? No right answer of course, just a personal preference.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

If I were in charge of Holland, I would send someone to the Pacific to look at a Marine Division.
    A soon as the war was over, Indonesia became a problem.

If I were French, I would be tempted to use old American gear to build something along the lines of a Panzer-Grenadier division... just double the artillery.

Tanks are not the weapons I would be most eager to get a hold of. The US 155mm Long Tom and M-1 Garand, and the UK Typhoon tank-busters would be at the top of my list.

Comment

Okay, here is how I would go;

US vehicles and small arms, aside from Bren Guns in place of the BAR.

I want three Regiments, each one will have one tank battalion and two infantry Battalions. (comes to about 1600 infantry and 60 tanks per Regiment) guess I would have to go with Shermans, unless some of the newer British tanks of 1944 are available.

An "Engineer" battalion, one that includes a company of heavy tanks made up of Churchill variants. Lots of bridging equipment, tank-dozers and other goodies.

I also want a Cavalry Battalion, or even a Regiment if I can get one. A mix of Uk heavy armored cars and Suarts light tanks, with most of the later converted to APCs.

I want two dozen of the M-16 AAA Halftracks... or better yet, the 37mm versions with twin MGs on the same turntable.

And a 72-gun artillery Regiment, with as many of them on SP mountings as possible. At the very least, 18 of the M-7 Priests, to be allocated 6 each to the Regiments in most operations.

Both the UK and US divisions have over-long tails, I would keep with a modernized version of what my own country had for support formations.

Comment

One suggestion would be to use the US armoured division, but just replace as many standard Shermans as possible with Fireflies.
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Actually, I would use the British armoured divs TO&E but adopt a more flexible version of the US combat command system (which was a bit more rigid in practice than in promise).

Armour:

- Tank Squadrons and Regiments (US Companies and Battalions) - US companies had 17 tanks plus one or two assault guns organised into three platoon and a company HQ. Three US medium companies plus a fourth light tank company of 18 Stuart and M8 Scot AGs and a Bn HQ pltn which included another platoon of 3 Sherman AGs (105) completed the battalion. The strength of this battalion counted about 53 M4xx (75 or 76mm) medium tanks, 18 M5 light tanks, 6-9 M4xx (105mm) medium AGs, a pair of M8 light AGs and 3 81mm SP Mortar Carriers.

A British Cromwell squadron had 18 tanks plus two close support tanks (C/S) organised into four fighting troops and a HQ troops. A regiment (battalion) counted three squadrons (sometimes four) plus a reg't recce troop with 4 M3/M5 light tanks (sometimes turretless), a HQ squadron with four more Medium tanks, two additional CS tanks and an SPAA troop of four Crusader/Centaur AA tanks (dual 20 or 40mm). The strength of this regiment amounted to 58 Medium tanks, 4 light tanks, 8 CS tanks, 4 AA tanks.

A US armoured Division had three battalions but the British divisions had four (3 in the armoured brigade and a fourth making up the armoured recce regiment). I would go with the British establishment of four medium tank battalions (232 medium tanks, 16 light tanks, 32 CS tanks, 16 AA tanks). These would form the armoured strength of the four combat teams in the division.

Armoured Infantry:

- Infantry Battalions – The US armoured divisions mounted all of its infantry (3 battalions) in halftracks while the British division mounted three battalions in trucks and boasted only one true armoured infantry battalion (known as the Motor Rifle Battalion) for four battalions. I would again use US kit but the British TO&E along with all those marvelous M3 HT models.

A US battalion had three companies plus a weapons company all supported by a truly impressive array of machine guns mounted on their armoured carriers. A standard platoon consisted of an M3a1 HT (.50 cal + .30 air cooled mg) carrying a squad plus the platoon leader, 3 M3 HT (.30 air cooled mg) with two more squads plus the platoon’s 60mm mortar section, an M3 (MMG) carrying the platoon’s .50 cal and two .30 air cooled machine guns. Three platoons were in each company plus a MG Platoon mounted in M3 (HMG) HTs adding another three squads and a very impressive 3 .50 cal and as many as 6 .30 water or air cooled machine guns. There is also an AT platoon of three 57mm AT guns towed by M2 HTs (with another 3 .50 cal and 3 .30 cal water cooled mgs). Three such company’s made up the battalion and was supported by the battalion HQ Coy with 3 M8 Scot AG, 3 M4/M21 SP Mortar carriers. As can be seen, a US armoured infantry battalion contained a hell of a lot of firepower and when all these machine guns are dismounted and manned by the infantry and HT crews the weight of firepower is remarkable.

A British lorried infantry battalion had four rifle companies, a support company and an AT platoon. If mounted in US HTs it would lose some firepower as there were no machine gun sections in platoons but the battalion would have more mortars, more AT guns and a carrier platoon. A rifle platoon would have an M3a1 (.50 cal or Vickers HMG and a Bren Gun) plus three M3 HT carrying two squads and the 2in (51mm) mortar section. Four such platoons would make up a company.

The Support company would consist of two MG platoons of three M3 (HMG) each, exchanging US .30 cal for Bren Guns. The battalion Mortar Platoon could retain its six 3 in (76mm) carriers or mount these weapons in six M4 HT as in a US battalion. The AT platoon consisted of six 57mm (6 pdr) AT guns and these could be towed by either ‘Carriers’ or M2 HTs. Finally there is the Carrier Platoon consisting of a Carrier MMG (Vickers), a 3 in Mortar Carrier plus three sections each consisting of of A Carrier C (Bren), Carrier B (PIAT) and a 2 in Carrier (51mm Mortar).

Artillery:

Artillery Regiments (US Battalions) – The US divisions had all three battalions equipped with M7 HMC (105mm) which gave them a total of 54 self propelled artillery pieces. A British armoured division had two artillery regiments each of 24 guns (three 8 gun batteries) for a total of 48 25 pdr guns. The British regiments also contained 16 AT guns (SP or towed) and 16 AA guns (usually towed). The SPAT guns were normally Achilles (17 pdr) in NWE.

Given the choice the artillery would be 48 M7 HMC in four 12 gun batteries (three troops of four guns), the US 105mm packing a larger 32 lb load compared to the British 25 pdr. I would retain the 32 Achilles TDs (four 8 gun batteries) and opt for a mix of US M17 MGMC (quad .50 cal) and additional Crusader/Centaur AA tanks (mixed batteries of 8 vehicles).

Reconnaisance:

The choice between recce units is a difficult one. In the US case the cavalry battalion (squadron) was a very well armed light armoured infantry unit supported by light tanks, scout cars and light assault guns. The British 1944 Armoured Car Regiment possessed mounted armoured infantry as well as a wide range of APCs, light and heavy armoured cars and light assault guns. There is very little to choose from between the two but since the US TO&E has more fully tracked AFVs and more machine guns it has a small advantage.

Summary:

A “rich mans” heavy armoured div would mainly use the large Brit Div TO&E but equip almost all the infantry in US halftracks. Other than the heavy use of these halftracks the division is not expanded much beyond it normal manpower requirements. The deployment is designed to use a balanced combat team approach with two teams up and two teams in support or reserve, permitting teams to “leap frog” forward as the situation warrants or allows. The two reserve teams could also be used for quick outflanking moves around hard points while the lead teams pin the defences. The reconnaissance elements would remain under div hq and be deployed in a screen in front and to the flanks of the divisions main axis of advance. The div would have the following organization.

Team 1......................... Team 2........................ Team 3......................... Team 4
          Armoured Reg’t.............. Armoured Reg’t.............. Armoured Reg’t.............Armoured Reg’t
          Armoured Inf Bn............. Armoured Inf Bn............ Armoured Inf Bn...........Armoured Inf Bn
          SP Art Btty (12 tubes)...... SP Art Btty (12 tubes).... SP Art Btty (12 tubes).....SP Art Btty (12 tubes)
          TD Btty (8 tubes)........... TD Btty (8 tubes)............ TD Btty (8 tubes)..........TD Btty (8 tubes)
          SP AA Btty (8 Tubes)..... SP AA Btty (8 Tubes)..... SP AA Btty (8 Tubes)..... SP AA Btty (8 Tubes)

Reconnaisance Team.... Reconnaisance Team.... Reconnaisance Team.... Reconnaisance Team
          Last edited by The Purist; 08 Nov 09, 16:51.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Starting with the basics, I would also use the British TO&E as a start. I would have 4 infantry battalions in my division, pairing up with the 4 tank regiments.

4 Infantry Battalions

Battalion HQ :
            2 M3HT's, 2 Dingo's with FOO's.
            AT troop of 4 Archers.
            Mortar platoon of 4 x 4.2" mortars and 15cwt lorries.
            Assault pioneer platoon with Flamethrowers etc in 4 M3HT's.
            Recce troop of 4 M18 Hellcats.

3 Infantry Companies :
            Each has
            Company HQ : 2 rifle sections in 2 M3HT's.
            3 platoon HQ's : 2 rifle sections in 2 M3HT's.
            9 rifle Sections in M3HT's.

Rifle section is 8 men with M1 carbines, 2 with Bren. A Panzerschrek (or light mortar for HQ elements) is also carried on each HT.

1 Heavy Weapons Company.
            Company HQ : 2 rifle sections in 2 M3HT's.
            2 Mortar Platoons - each has 1 rifle section in 2 carriers and 6 3" mortars each in a carrier.
            1 MG Platoon with 1 rifle section in 2 carriers and 6 Vickers MG in carriers.

4 Tank Regiments

The 1st regiment would be Cromwells, 2nd to 4th would be Churchills.

1st Regimental HQ : 2 Cromwell VIIw, 3 Dingos with FOO's, 2 Crusader AA's.
            Engineer Company with 3 ARV's, 3 Bridgelayers, 3 M3HT workshops.
            3 Squadrons each with :
            Squadron HQ with 2 Cromwell VIIw and 2 Cromwell VIIIw.
            3 Troops 3 Cromwell VIIw's.
            2 Troop 3 Achilles.

2nd to 4th Regiments HQ : 2 Churchill VII, 2 Churchill VIII, 2 Crusader AA's and 3 RA Churchill FOO.
            Engineer Company with 3 ARV's, 3 Bridgelayers, 3 M3HT workshops.
            3 AT Troops of 4 Fireflies (normally 1 troop with each squadron).
            3 Squadrons each with :
            Squadron HQ with 2 Churchill VII and 2 Churchill VIII.
            3 Troops of 4 Churchill VII's each.

Artillery
            3 Regiments of 24 Sextons each, plus supporting elements.
            3 companies of AAA each with 18 Bofors and transports.

Engineer Regiment
            Whatever is required to keep division mobile.

Support Regiment
            1 Heavy Assault Squadron : HQ troop with 4 Churchill VIII's, 2 troops 3 Churchill Crocadiles, 2 troops 3 Churchill AVRE's.
            1 Air support Squadron: 3 Dingos with air liaison teams, 4 Troops 4 Crusader AAA, 2 M3HT's with 2 rifle sections.
            1 Heavy transport company. 14 Kangaroos to replace M3HT's for 1 company as required.

Not perfect but a start .
            Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 08 Nov 09, 17:26.

Comment

Some major problems with your order of battle there Noodle.

The reason heavy tanks were dropped from Red Army tank and mech formations was because they slowed the overall progress of mobile operations. The British placed their slow and heavy tanks in separate Tank Brigades so that they too would not slow armoured operations but could move at the pace of the dismounted lorried infantry. You would soon find half your divisions inching along at about 8 mph while the other half raced ahead at 25 mph. Potential for trouble is high.

Panzerschrecks? Where would you be getting those in your fight against the Germans? I figured one should stick to what would be available to the actual armies of the day and not delving too much into fantasy.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Why not use M26 pershings as your heavier tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                  Some major problems with your order of battle there Noodle.

The reason heavy tanks were dropped from Red Army tank and mech formations was because they slowed the overall progress of mobile operations. The British placed their slow and heavy tanks in separate Tank Brigades so that they too would not slow armoured operations but could move at the pace of the dismounted lorried infantry. You would soon find half your divisions inching along at about 8 mph while the other half raced ahead at 25 mph. Potential for trouble is high.

Panzerschrecks? Where would you be getting those in your fight against the Germans? I figured one should stick to what would be available to the actual armies of the day and not delving too much into fantasy.
                  The Guards 6th Tank Brigade was renamed the Guards 6th Armoured Brigade and expected to perform the same role as Shermans and Cromwells, which they did. Also during the Great Swan, Churchills kept up with up with their nimble counterparts. Further, in the realities of warfare tanks do not generally charge around like nomad cavalry but work together with slower elements, such as dismounted infantry. The reason why the Soviets removed the Heavy tank element from their Tank Corps were two fold. One, the KV-1's were unreliable compared with the T34's. Second was the nature of the terrain, ie Steppes, hence the reason why I chose a specific location for the armoured division to fight in. Both reliability and cross country speed limits the speed of a Tank Corps and the KV's slowed the Soviets division down, compared to just having T34's. Churchills also had the best tactical mobility of any tank in WW2, if the official reports in the national archives are to be believed (although they do state the Panther was second and Comet third).

As for Panzerschreks, I did say that the date was 1945, but it is a fair point. Since I'm using Brit kit in the main for my division, I'd go Piat instead.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                    Why not use M26 pershings as your heavier tanks.
                    Pershings not available in June 1944 .

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle
                      The Guards 6th Tank Brigade was renamed the Guards 6th Armoured Brigade and expected to perform the same role as Shermans and Cromwells, which they did.
                      Well, actually they didn't. However the great swan lasted only some 5 - 6 days and the advances were some 50 miles per day, which could be managed via route matches by following units. That being said it was the armoured cars and medium tanks that led the dash across France and Belgium to the Dutch border. The lorried infantry and support units followed on as best they could but did not begin to close up along the new front until the second week of September.

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle
                      ... Further, in the realities of warfare tanks do not generally charge around like nomad cavalry but work together with slower elements, such as dismounted infantry....
                      Hmmm,... I think you would find most instructors in mobile warfare would gasp in shock at such a contention (mine would have) . Armoured formations first job is to stay mobile and not get pinned into set piece battles (that is the job of the infantry a their assigned supporting tank units). The reason we have mounted the infatry in APCs is to increase their rate of movement. Dismounting is only required when opposition cannot be handled by the "hasty attack" by the lead combat team (which range in size according to mission and axis of advance). The reason heavy tanks were abandoned was because of their debilitating effect on such operatrions.

..., and there is little difference between the North Europen Plain and the Steppes except for scale and population density. As the Germans showed in 1940 and the allies did again in 1944, mobile operation over large expanses of territory were quite possible. This was shown again in 1945 when allied armoured columns raced across western Germany. Heavy tanks don't really fit into the model.

But to each his own.
                      The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                        Pershings not available in June 1944 .
                        OOps thought we were in 45 my bad

Comment

According to Patrick Forbes in 6th Guards Tank Brigade - The Story of Guardsmen in Churchill Tanks, these infantry tanks can operate as well as mediums/cruisers. No problem with your opinion though . Yours differs from mine, which is fine, this thread is about differing opinions .

Comment

Here's mine:

There will be in addition to the divisional headquarters two brigade headquarters (aka Combat Commands etc.). The divisional headquarters has attached a company of 17 T29 heavy tanks with the 105mm T5E2 gun.

It will have four tank battalions. Each will have:

A headquarters and headquarters company which includes a AM&S section, a comm section, a mortar section with 3 81mm mortars in T41 carriers, an assault gun section with three M4A3 105mm Shermans, and a headquarters platoon of 2 T25E1 with dozer blade and 3 T25E1.

There are four line companies in each battalion. Three have 17 T25E1 each and the fourth has 17 M24 light tanks. The usual support units are included for each company.

Next, it has five (5) armored infantry battalions.

Each battalion has a headquarters and headquarters company. The HQ Co includes an AM&S section, comm section, and engineer platoon.

The battalion has four line companies. Three armored infantry and one support.
                            The three armored infantry companies are orgainzed as a HQ and three armored infantry platoons.
                            The HQ consists of 2 T41 APC and an AM&S section.
                            The line companies have five squads each and a headquarters.
                            The HQ is an T41 with 6 men and a .50 machinegun
                            Three are line squads. Each is mounted in a T41 APC and has 2 x MG 42 rechambered for 30.06 ammunition and restricted to 750 rpm. The rest of the squad has M1 Garands and 2 grenade launcher attachments are available. The vehicle has a Bazooka in it too. Each squad has 12 men.
                            Squad four is the HMG section in a T41. It has 12 men and is armed with M1 Carbines, 1 x .50 browning and, 2x .30 water cooled browning MGs.
                            The fifth squad is the mortar section and has one T41 and 8 men with 2 60mm mortars.

The support company has a mortar platoon with 2 T41 each mounting an 81mm mortar and carrying 8 men and a recoilless rifle platoon of 2 T41 each mounting a 75mm recoilless rifle (US) and 6 men.

The battalion support company has a HMG platoon of 4 T41 each with 1 .50 Browning and 2x .30 Browning water cooled machineguns and 12 men, and a support gun section of 3 x M7B1.

There are three battalions of M7B1 105mm SP guns with 18 vehicles each. In addition, there is one battalion of M12 155mm SP guns with 18 guns. There are also 3 M20 armored cars attached to each 6 gun battery with machineguns and bazookas for ground security.

There is an anti aircraft battalion with 18 M19 SP twin 40mm AA guns and 18 M55 quad .50 mounted on T41 hulls.

A signals company, two quartermaster companies, and an armored engineer battalion with three companies and a heavy equipment company included.

Lastly, there is a reconnissance battalion.
                            This has a HQ and HQ Co and 6 line companies.
                            The HQ Co includes a mortar platoon of 3 81 mm mortars on T41s and a machinegun platoon of 4 T41 with 2 x .30 Browning water cooled MG each.

The line companies consist of:
                            1. Assault gun company with 12 x M8 MGC
                            2. Light tank company with 17 M18 Hellcat.
                            3 through 6 are Recon companies.

These consist of a headquarters (with 3 M20 and one M8 AC) and 4 troops.
                            Each troop has a HQ of one M20, a heavy section of three M8A1 armored cars, two light sections of 3 x jeeps with MG 42 (rechambered as above) and 9 men, and a support section in 3 x 3/4ton weapons carriers with 2 x 60mm mortars and 2 x .30 Browing water cooled MG.

The division can form up to three commands from the above units as necessary.
                            Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 09 Nov 09, 20:36.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              Here's mine:

There will be in addition to the divisional headquarters two brigade headquarters (aka Combat Commands etc.). The divisional headquarters has attached a company of 17 T29 heavy tanks with the 105mm T5E2 gun.

It will have four tank battalions. Each will have:

A headquarters and headquarters company which includes a AM&S section, a comm section, a mortar section with 3 81mm mortars in T41 carriers, an assault gun section with three M4A3 105mm Shermans, and a headquarters platoon of 2 T25E1 with dozer blade and 3 T25E1.

There are four line companies in each battalion. Three have 17 T25E1 each and the fourth has 17 M24 light tanks. The usual support units are included for each company.

Next, it has five (5) armored infantry battalions.

Each battalion has a headquarters and headquarters company. The HQ Co includes an AM&S section, comm section, and engineer platoon.

The battalion has four line companies. Three armored infantry and one support.
                              The three armored infantry companies are orgainzed as a HQ and three armored infantry platoons.
                              The HQ consists of 2 T41 APC and an AM&S section.
                              The line companies have five squads each and a headquarters.
                              The HQ is an T41 with 6 men and a .50 machinegun
                              Three are line squads. Each is mounted in a T41 APC and has 2 x MG 42 rechambered for 30.06 ammunition and restricted to 750 rpm. The rest of the squad has M1 Garands and 2 grenade launcher attachments are available. The vehicle has a Bazooka in it too. Each squad has 12 men.
                              Squad four is the HMG section in a T41. It has 12 men and is armed with M1 Carbines, 1 x .50 browning and, 2x .30 water cooled browning MGs.
                              The fifth squad is the mortar section and has one T41 and 8 men with 2 60mm mortars.

The support company has a mortar platoon with 2 T41 each mounting an 81mm mortar and carrying 8 men and a recoilless rifle platoon of 2 T41 each mounting a 75mm recoilless rifle (US) and 6 men.

The battalion support company has a HMG platoon of 4 T41 each with 1 .50 Browning and 2x .30 Browning water cooled machineguns and 12 men, and a support gun section of 3 x M7B1.

There are three battalions of M7B1 105mm SP guns with 18 vehicles each. In addition, there is one battalion of M12 155mm SP guns with 18 guns. There are also 3 M20 armored cars attached to each 6 gun battery with machineguns and bazookas for ground security.

There is an anti aircraft battalion with 18 M19 SP twin 40mm AA guns and 18 M55 quad .50 mounted on T41 hulls.

A signals company, two quartermaster companies, and an armored engineer battalion with three companies and a heavy equipment company included.

Lastly, there is a reconnissance battalion.
                              This has a HQ and HQ Co and 6 line companies.
                              The HQ Co includes a mortar platoon of 3 81 mm mortars on T41s and a machinegun platoon of 4 T41 with 2 x .30 Browning water cooled MG each.

The line companies consist of:
                              1. Assault gun company with 12 x M8 MGC
                              2. Light tank company with 17 M18 Hellcat.
                              3 through 6 are Recon companies.

These consist of a headquarters (with 3 M20 and one M8 AC) and 4 troops.
                              Each troop has a HQ of one M20, a heavy section of three M8A1 armored cars, two light sections of 3 x jeeps with MG 42 (rechambered as above) and 9 men, and a support section in 3 x 3/4ton weapons carriers with 2 x 60mm mortars and 2 x .30 Browing water cooled MG.

The division can form up to three commands from the above units as necessary.
                              I quite like this, and involves a lot more what ifs than my perfect division .

For the record mine is little different from an actual CW armoured division with only a few differences.

1. AT work has been removed from the RA, and the AT regiment was replaced with a regiment of 24 Sextons.

2. The infantry battalions have one rifle company replaced by a heavy weapons company (twelve 3" mortars and 6 Vickers Mg's). The battalion mortar platoon has its six 3" mortars replaced by four 4.2" mortars. This will dramatically increase instant indirect fire availability, something infantry battalions were relying on their mortars to do as the war progressed.

3. The Battalion AT platoon of four 6pdr's replaced by 4 Archers. The 6pdr was probably not hard hitting enough, and the 17pdr (imo) was too heavy as an AT gun, taking 8 hours or so to dig in properly.

4. Mediums are replaced by infantry tanks, and most mobile anti-tank responsibility handed to the tank units.

5. I would leave artillery heavier than the 25pdrs at Corps level (or higher).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X