A change of reporting tack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A change of reporting tack...

Watching a Bio of Marilyn Monroe, a 'What If?' occured to me.

The documentary made mention of Marilyn's connections to the Kennedy's. Given that back then reporters showed more deferrence to public figures, I wonder what would have happend if the newshounds of the day had adopted a more modern approach to reporting on the carryings on of the 'Great and the Good'? What if they had gone after politicians of the day in the same way that Clinton experienced with his Blue Dress episode, for example?

If JFK's frisky private life had of been exposed, what would the American public have made of it? If his mind was occupied with other things, would it have effected U.S. foreign policy, the build up to the Vietnam conflict, America's dealings with the Soviet Union? Would his political career have changed enough to mean no trip to Dallas and where would that have led to? Would there have been a commitment to the Moon Programme? And would posterity look so kindly on the Kennedy family?

What do you think?
    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post

What do you think?
    Andrew, with no disrespect to your thread, when ever I see anything connected with Marilyn Monroe, my brain is not really capable of intellectual thought Just as well you didn't post a picture to remind us who she is.

However, yes, there may have been some changes. It would seem that Richard Nixon became somewhat unhinged by his preoccupation with Watergate, and his drinking, to the extent that his judgement on matters of state suffered. The US went to DEFCON 3 during the Yom Kipur war and Nixon was not fully aware of what was happening. Although, of course, JFK was taking large doses of pain killers to alleviate back problems IIRC. These may have been having some effect as well. So, if JFK was subject to a scandal of his own making like Nixon was over Watergate, the consequences could be serious.
    Last edited by At ease; 24 Oct 09, 23:42.
    "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
    "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
    — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by At ease View Post
      Andrew, with no disrespect to your thread, when ever I see anything connected with Marilyn Monroe, my brain is not really capable of intellectual thought Just as well you didn't post a picture to remind us who she is.

However, yes, there may have been some changes. It would seem that Richard Nixon became somewhat unhinged by his preoccupation with Watergate, and his drinking, to the extent that his judgement on matters of state suffered. The US went to DEFCON 3 during the Yom Kipur war and Nixon was not fully aware of what was happening. Although, of course, JFK was taking large doses of pain killers to alleviate back problems IIRC. These may have been having some effect as well. So, if JFK was subject to a scandal of his own making like Nixon was over Watergate, the consequences could be serious.
      JFK was on large doses of pain killers for back ache? I didn't know that - were the pains being aggravated by Miss Monroe's attentions?!

Last edited by Dogsbody67; 25 Oct 09, 07:51.
      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

JFK's were from war injuries.

So much for the attempted humor
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post

So much for the attempted humor
          Well then, he was entitled to be receiving some form of treatment as a former veteran. Maybe the VHA rules were more "liberal" back then I'm sure it could only have positive results for recruitment if such methods were more widespread.
          On a more serious note, I'm surprised the mafia didn't try to use this matter as some leverage against him.
          Last edited by At ease; 25 Oct 09, 07:53.

Comment

Ouch. Point taken, but I doubt the legend of 'Camelot' would have been established and I wonder what the American people (who, as far as I can judge), can be a bit puritanical - the more so in the time period we are talking about, would have made of revelations? How would his possible errosion of influence or authority effect the course of American political history/Foreign Policy? Would the American public even be bothered?

The questions posed aren't an exercise in character assasination or muck spreading, I just wondered how history would be changed (if at all) if the media adopted more modern reporting styles?

By the same token, could you imagine how events like the fall of Singapore, Corregidor, Crete etc would have been reported and commented upon by such a modern press corps? I imagine such reports would be alarmist and would possibly have effected public opinion accordingly, presenting problems of morale.

But, those questions aside, I recognise what you say, HP so I'll self censor my post.
            Last edited by Dogsbody67; 25 Oct 09, 11:50.
            HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

Comment

JFK's shenanigans went way past Marilyn. It included women set up for him by the mob and even more dangerously possibly by the KGB. He had an affair with a woman who was the wife of a West German army attache and she was actually East German and had connections in the past to people in the Stasi. A call girl from Eastern Europe who was also connected to the Profumo affair in the UK, an affair that JFK took an extremely close interest in. He was extremely compromised. I often think his death saved his reputation and maybe even from impeachment. The press knew much of this and did publish articles about citing "high ranking " members of government but not naming him. RFK had the German woman deported. He got J. Edgar Hoover to "convinvce" members of congress not to do investigations into some of the rumours. Marilyn was but a mere tip in the iceberg. Bobby spent more time cleaning up his brothers mess than anything else it would seem. Its a wonder the Cuban thing worked out alright at all.
              Last edited by copenhagen; 27 Oct 09, 07:42.

Comment

The documentary made mention of Marilyn's connections to the Kennedy's. Given that back then reporters showed more deferrence to public figures, I wonder what would have happend if the newshounds of the day had adopted a more modern approach to reporting on the carryings on of the 'Great and the Good'? What if they had gone after politicians of the day in the same way that Clinton experienced with his Blue Dress episode, for example?

If JFK's frisky private life had of been exposed, what would the American public have made of it? If his mind was occupied with other things, would it have effected U.S. foreign policy, the build up to the Vietnam conflict, America's dealings with the Soviet Union? Would his political career have changed enough to mean no trip to Dallas and where would that have led to? Would there have been a commitment to the Moon Programme? And would posterity look so kindly on the Kennedy family?

What do you think?
                Those were different times back then. Kennedy's succesor, Lyndon Johnson was a notorious womanizer himself and made no bones about it, yet the press remaned silent about his affairs throughout his entire six years in office.

There's a true story where two news reporters were traveling with Kennedy by train. They were in a compartment trying to finish typing their stories for the morning papers, when a laughing, naked woman ran into their compartment, followed by a laughing, equally undressed President Kennedy. The president grabbed the woman by the arm and pulled her, laughing and screaming from the press compartment, back to the private suite.

One reporter remarked deadpan to the other. "It's a good thing I didn't see that, or I'd have to report it!" The other reporter replied. "Yeah, imagine what the country would think."
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

General(later President) Eisenhower was rumoured to be having an affair with his driver Kay Somersby during WW2. Was this widely known at the time, or before he ran for office, or afterwards?
                  Last edited by At ease; 27 Oct 09, 10:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                    Is that what the bedding of numerous Harvard bimbettes was called back in the day?
                    Last edited by johnbryan; 27 Oct 09, 15:39.

Comment

By the same token, could you imagine how events like the fall of Singapore, Corregidor, Crete etc would have been reported and commented upon by such a modern press corps? I imagine such reports would be alarmist and would possibly have effected public opinion accordingly, presenting problems of morale.
                      It's probably my fault for mentioning JFK and the Kennedy's, but I also wonder how historic events like the above would have been reported by journalists with more modern scrupples (or lack of them)? I cant imagine a war like WWII being reported (supposing such a thing would have been possible), by the likes of CNN, Fox, Sky and so on, what with their taste for 'results now', rolling news (even when there is no real news to report) and their reliance on so called 'experts' who delight in talking
                      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

Comment

It's probably my fault for mentioning JFK and the Kennedy's, but I also wonder how historic events like the above would have been reported by journalists with more modern scrupples (or lack of them)? I cant imagine a war like WWII being reported (supposing such a thing would have been possible), by the likes of CNN, Fox, Sky and so on, what with their taste for 'results now', rolling news (even when there is no real news to report) and their reliance on so called 'experts' who delight in talking
                        World War II news reporting in the US was heavily censored by appointed military and government officials, several layers deep, so that the news reflected and supported the agenda of the overall government. This guarenteed that all news moved and was viewed in lockstep. Therefore, there was no diversity in opinion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X