An Alternative To Stalingrad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craven View Post
    The German Paratroops at this time were still recovering from Crete or were they? If not this I think Stalingrad would of been an excellent area to use them as a stepping stone.
    I dont believe there was an attempt to replace them after Crete. All of the gliders were destroyed, or left there.
    "In the absence of orders...find something and kill it!" Lt. General Erwin Rommel, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by smallvillekalel View Post
      I dont believe there was an attempt to replace them after Crete. All of the gliders were destroyed, or left there.
      Ok that kind of what I thought but was not sure. Putting a couple of airborne divisions across the river may of been enuff to secure a victory in Stalingrad. Granted they would of gotten torn up but they should of been able to cut supplies or allow a bridge head over the river to be built.

Comment

..if Stalingrad had been called anything else, the Germans would have simply by-passed the city and cut it off....

Another interesting what if to ponder is what would Manstein have needed to go his way to ensure his operation to relieve the city was successful? And could it in fact be done at all, or would it have just magnified the already huge loos of 6th Armie?

Comment

the alternative to stalingrad would have been to conquer the ukraine and then capture the crimea
          Oh Sure The Old Man's Off His Rocker If Grampa Says He's Dead He Must Be Alive
          Grampa Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by killemall View Post
            the alternative to stalingrad would have been to conquer the ukraine and then capture the crimea
            the ukraine WAS conquered and the crimea captured

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
              If you have not already done so give a read of van Crevald's "Supplying War". He has good info on the logistics in chapter 5 "Russian Roulette". It's an excellent review of the shortcomings of the German plan and the failure of the German supply system from the factories to the front line.
              Originally posted by iron View Post
              Aside: Speaking of logistics, Stolfi's simplistic analysis of the German efforts to advance their railheads to the East during Barbarossa is laughable...this is a subject which screams out for a serious appraisal in the English language. If anyone is aware of one, I'd appreciate direction towards it.

By my understanding, the state of the Soviet railways was such that the bulk of the infrastructure was wholly unsuitable for the DRG's requirements (roadbeds, bridges and support/maintenance facilities) and there was no hope of delivering the tonnage (which they'd assured was possible) to OKW. While they anticipated the "problems" that they ultimately faced, they grievously underestimated the true nature of these "problems".
              For those who know little about railroading, let's just say that there's a whole lot more to "converting" a railroad besides pulling up one rail and spiking it back down 3 3/8" closer to the other one...

Digging up bones here but...

Gerry...found a source that purports to offer a thorough treatment of the DRG in the Third Reich era: "The Most Valuable Asset of the Reich: A History of the German National Railway Volume 2, 1933-1945" by Alfred C. Mierzejewski. Just ordered it from Amazon...will post back later with an appraisal. You might find this interesting?

Cheers, Ron
              Last edited by iron; 30 Jan 10, 22:58. Reason: Quoted myself for clarity.
              48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
              __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X