What if India broke apart in 1947?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if India broke apart in 1947?

OK, this scenario assumes the break up of India in the violence and chaos of the partition. What would the subcontinent look like today?

This is complicated because while a break up of the Raj, or even just India is very possible, the way the breakup would follow depends on knowing what's more important where: religion or ethnicity. I imagine that further north relgion would matter more, but down south, only marginally touched by the scourge of Islam, things could be different.

The Raj map does not help because so much of India is Raj territory, I can't see how the Princely States (some of them anyway) could expand and become full borne nation states. Not that they couldn't expand, but HOW and WHERE they could go. Any help is appriciated.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Originally posted by Wolery View Post
    OK, this scenario assumes the break up of India in the violence and chaos of the partition. What would the subcontinent look like today?

This is complicated because while a break up of the Raj, or even just India is very possible, the way the breakup would follow depends on knowing what's more important where: religion or ethnicity. I imagine that further north relgion would matter more, but down south, only marginally touched by the scourge of Islam, things could be different.

The Raj map does not help because so much of India is Raj territory, I can't see how the Princely States (some of them anyway) could expand and become full borne nation states. Not that they couldn't expand, but HOW and WHERE they could go. Any help is appriciated.
    There WAS a break uo of India in the violence and chaos of the partition:hunderdof thousands of deaths and millions of refugees and "the international community"...?looked at ith and did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolery View Post

actually the "scourge of islam" touched nearly all parts of india

here is a list of many muslim dynasties that existed in southern part of the indian subcontinent
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_sultanates

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X