No announcement yet.

Not Canada!: Canada joins the Axis in 1939

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five minutes after the parliamentary debate the Governor General would have marched into Parliament with the militia and 99% of the population and disbanded the government. The author's of German support would have been arrested and a provisional government put in place until new elections could organised. The RCMP would have made numerous arrests and the trials that followed would have seen the ring leaders hung for treason against the crown.

Canada is back in action and mobilising troops and ships to fight Germany by October 1st and the US can now rest assured that pro-fascist elements in Canada have been eliminated, greatly enhancing the defence of North America.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Agreed.

You would have to manufacture on hell of an incident to even make Canada hesitate to join with the rest of the Commonwealth. Even if they did, there would be no chance of Canada finding common cause with the Axis.

How far back do you have to go to find armed resistance to the Empire in Canada, the 1840s?
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I agree with all that, this is a HUGE stretch. Canada has had it's share of bad or silly ideas, but Nazism hasn't been one of them.

FWIW, there was some support for fascist parties in Canada, primarily in Quebec and the prairie provinces. When the nation wide "National Unity Party" was formed in the mid-30's, it had a few thousand supporters. Tellingly it had a rally in Toronto and about 1000 supporters showed up, a rally down the street by an anti-fascist group drew about 10 times that. One fascist was elected to the Alberta provincial legislature sometime in the 30's.

If the fascists somehow manage to grab power in conjunction with the beginning of WWII, I think there would have been a brief, but fairly bloody civil war. As Exorcist has pointed out, Canada existed because of the empire, and the bulk of Canadians knew it.
        Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          Agreed.

You would have to manufacture on hell of an incident to even make Canada hesitate to join with the rest of the Commonwealth. Even if they did, there would be no chance of Canada finding common cause with the Axis.

How far back do you have to go to find armed resistance to the Empire in Canada, the 1840s?
          If that. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I dont think the Canadians have ever thrown their toys out of their pram in those terms. No reason to. My other half is Canadian. A great country. Very underestimated people in my opinion.

Comment

The last time Canada rebelled was like 1837. In Ontario, a bunch of guys got drunk at a tavern and decided to march on Parliament. Along the way they encountered a few government soldiers. The first line of rebels fired their guns, then dropped to a prone position so the second line could fire. The second line, drunk, thinks the entire first line has been shot head and turns and flees. The rebellion in Quebec was somewhat more violent.
            Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
            Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan4290 View Post
              The last time Canada rebelled was like 1837. In Ontario, a bunch of guys got drunk at a tavern and decided to march on Parliament. Along the way they encountered a few government soldiers. The first line of rebels fired their guns, then dropped to a prone position so the second line could fire. The second line, drunk, thinks the entire first line has been shot head and turns and flees. The rebellion in Quebec was somewhat more violent.
              I'm a bit hazy on the politcal background of Sir Woolsleys expidition (Red River?). Was that to suppress a actual rebellion, or to intimidate the local population into not abusing tax collectors?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X