Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United Who?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by CATO1948 View Post
    What we were however were shameless smugglers and when necessary priates. We consistently refused to accept any restriction on trade regardless of what European powers were at war and to take substantial risk of loss to realize the great profits that could be realized by being free traders in such circumstance.

    Curiously the most immediate effect might have been the destruction of the southern planataion system either through lack of markets or being force into uneconomic relationships with European markets.
    You are aware of course that such language is how belligerants generally refer to neutrals who "have not the moral courage and brilliance to join the side of the angels", right?
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

    Comment


    • #17
      Hmmmm....
      No influx of immigrants looking for a place where effort and imagination were rewarded fairly, no free exchange of ideas in a dynamic marketplace.... more bad news.

      A big delay in things like the telegraph, telephones, powered flight, vaccines, light bulbs, the Panama canal, splitting the atom, men on the Moon and the Hubble telescope and an endless list of other things... if they would have happened at all.

      And yes, the computer you are using right now.

      This is a giant can of giant worms.... way to big for me to get into.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

      -Captain Jack

      Comment


      • #18
        America was underpopulated and had no infrastructure or military might. Europeans (and maybe a few Asians) would be pouring into this land regardless of politics and building it up.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
          America was underpopulated and had no infrastructure or military might. Europeans (and maybe a few Asians) would be pouring into this land regardless of politics and building it up.
          Quite so. European, and Asian, immigrants went to Latin or South America whenever they could as well as North America.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
            Hmmmm....
            No influx of immigrants looking for a place where effort and imagination were rewarded fairly, no free exchange of ideas in a dynamic marketplace.... more bad news.

            A big delay in things like the telegraph, telephones, powered flight, vaccines, light bulbs, the Panama canal, splitting the atom, men on the Moon and the Hubble telescope and an endless list of other things... if they would have happened at all.

            And yes, the computer you are using right now.

            This is a giant can of giant worms.... way to big for me to get into.
            This alternative doesnt fly to be honest as it assumes that these things were not being looked at in Europe which they were witht the Industrial Revolution in Britain in full swing. French were in on powered flight greatly. Alexander Graham Bell who was born in Scotland and the phone. Joseph Swan with the light bulb, and atom splitting reserch was being done in Europe aswell. Certainly the computer as the first electronic programmable one was built in Britain during ww2 at Bletchley to crack the 12 pin Enigma code. The talent and innovation was there.America being a poor backwater wouldnt have change that.
            Last edited by copenhagen; 22 Jul 09, 04:02.

            Comment


            • #21
              Heres a question. If the small confederation of former British colonies remain a poor example would the Spainish colonies be inspired to revolt for their independance?

              Jumping ahead to 1914 a much larger British Dominion in North America, and possibly a large French colony suggests a much larger resource base for the early years of WWI. Would that change the balance of the Great War 1915 - 1917?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                Britain would annex the US and rule like 80% of North America. Then Canada would be in ctrl of the US =D
                What's you're qoute referring too? How would briton rule 80% of America?
                I thought the war was forught long time ago and America won her independance?
                What "what if" you are talking about?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                  Heres a question. If the small confederation of former British colonies remain a poor example would the Spainish colonies be inspired to revolt for their independance?

                  Jumping ahead to 1914 a much larger British Dominion in North America, and possibly a large French colony suggests a much larger resource base for the early years of WWI. Would that change the balance of the Great War 1915 - 1917?
                  Bearing in mind Canada, NZ and Australia etc were in from the gert go I see no reason why American territories still in the family wouldnt get involved to.So I would say yes.

                  Comment

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X