No announcement yet.

Achtung! Messerschmitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain had been in Egypt for 100 years before WW2... we had a lot of experience in the desert so a lot of our cars and trucks had been specially designed for sand. The German equipment was beautifully engineered but designed for Europe so not ideal for desert life.

Allegedly Adolf Galland when asked by Goering what he needed to help the Luftwaffe during the battle of Britian answered 'a squadron of Spitfires'. Goering went mad! Even Goering described the Mosquito as a 'beautiful airplane' though so they certainly appreciated the design.

Comment

Originally posted by peter_sym View Post
      Edited to add: read up on air combat over Israel/Palestine/Egypt ~1947. British and Israeli spitfires fought each other. The Israelis also had versions of Me109's etc. It was a real mess.
      I wouln`t say that AVIA S-99 was vesion of a Me109 rather it derivate... It had Jumo 211 engine and wide peddal airscrew of He-111 bomber. It was like using Bristol Mercury engine on a Spit...

Comment

Another Allied aircraft in the wrong markings...

.....and like the Spitfire in Luftwaffe garb, this B-17 also looks wrong.

The link below tells the story:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...7fortress.html

I wonder how the Germans would have fared with a similar home grown aircraft to call upon instead of the HE-177?
        HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Another captured Spitfire

HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Is it patriotism on my part or do spitfires really just not look as pretty in German colours?

Comment

Originally posted by peter_sym View Post
              Is it patriotism on my part or do spitfires really just not look as pretty in German colours?
              No, I reckon you are right. I'm glad that RJ Mitchell designed it and not his German counterpart.
              HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

Comment

Hey Andrew,

Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
                Don't know if you noticed or not, but this particular airframe (CJ+ZY) is home to a DB605 powerplant...

We discussed this machine in another thread and I posted a bit of additional information on this unique beast; here's a LINK to that earlier post...

Cheers, Ron

And yes...I agree. A Spit looks far sexier in it's native warpaint...
                48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
                __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X