No announcement yet.

Norway fights off the invasion in 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That last dozen posts seem to cover what I think is the more likely scenario. A strong German rematch & effort to run the British off. The somewhat less likely alternate in my mind is Hitler thinks a direct attack on British Isle will force 'England' to a armistice and take Norway by default. No need to dissapate strength on a secondary effort, however small.

Were this course chosen October comes and Britian is neither at the negotiating table nor bargaining away Norway. What are the ways this might play out. A winter or spring campaign after October 1940 has a different set of challenges for each side.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
      That last dozen posts seem to cover what I think is the more likely scenario. A strong German rematch & effort to run the British off.
      Run the Norwegians out too surely? And that's what this what-if comes down to - how much fight have the Norwegians got in them. It's pretty damn obvious that after a three month interbellum there will be a lot more armed Norwegians with at least some degree of training.
      An attempt by the Germans to repeat the Weserubung plan would not even be contemplated so their invasion attempt, we can assume, would be to dump enough troops in barges and suitable fishing craft a la Sealion on beaches to enable them to capture a suitable harbour. The trick they have to balance is attempting it quickly enough that the Norwegian army is still a raggedly equipped militia but not so hastily that the German forces are little better with insufficient heavy weapons and transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
        Run the Norwegians out too surely? And that's what this what-if comes down to - how much fight have the Norwegians got in them. It's pretty damn obvious that after a three month interbellum there will be a lot more armed Norwegians with at least some degree of training.
        An attempt by the Germans to repeat the Weserubung plan would not even be contemplated so their invasion attempt, we can assume, would be to dump enough troops in barges and suitable fishing craft a la Sealion on beaches to enable them to capture a suitable harbour. The trick they have to balance is attempting it quickly enough that the Norwegian army is still a raggedly equipped militia but not so hastily that the German forces are little better with insufficient heavy weapons and transport.
        I'd think they could do this in July or August, along with the survivors of the airbourne operations vs Holland. If the number of barges suitable for amphibious operations & transport planes are as small as everyone tells me, then a second attack on Norway means Sea Lion is even more unrealistic and preparations for an attack on south England will be dropped sooner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X