Land Bridge to Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Bridge to Britain

Suspend disbelief for a moment and imagine that the Nazi war machine had created some kind of technology that could create a permanent land bridge to Great Britain...say half as wide as the southern coast of GB itself. The English Channel is no more as of 1939.

How would WWII have played out?

Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
    Suspend disbelief for a moment and imagine that the Nazi war machine had created some kind of technology that could create a permanent land bridge to Great Britain...say half as wide as the southern coast of GB itself. The English Channel is no more as of 1939.

Actually nothing different. Whatever the Germans could build up, the British could just as easily break down.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
      Actually nothing different. Whatever the Germans could build up, the British could just as easily break down.
      Not if it was the release of deep geological tensions, lifting the sea floor! The energy for the operation was stored deep within the Earth, and there is no way to push it back down.

Comment

Not if it was the release of deep geological tensions, lifting the sea floor! The energy for the operation was stored deep within the Earth, and there is no way to push it back down.
        Take a look at the Ulm Germany Railroad yards circa 1945. There are thousands of acres of what was once dry land, now looking like a lunar landscape, yet the craters are all filled with water. Do you really want to press this issue further?
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Sorry, but this goes well beyond an alternate timeline. Perhaps deleting it here and moving it to the science fiction section so it will be clear that its all some kind of fantasy/video game scenario.

OY JB, I was expecting to see an alternative U-boat bridge here as well when I popped in!

Regards,
          Dennis
          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
            OY JB, I was expecting to see an alternative U-boat bridge here as well when I popped in!
            Hey! maybe instead of carrying supply in concrete tubes the Uboats could be used as pontoons & carry concrete bridge sections

On a slightly more serious note, lets suspose the previous 10,000 post glacial years had resulted in a sort of tidal zone. Similar to the Dutch coast with sand island salt marshes, estuarys and channels. That is the Channel region has not been submerged as completely. What sort of operational and tactical problems does this present for the Germans of 1940? Assuming little else has changed.
            Last edited by Carl Schwamberg; 01 Jun 09, 05:55.

Comment

Is it silly season already

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                On a slightly more serious note, lets suspose the previous 10,000 post glacial years had resulted in a sort of tidal zone. Similar to the Dutch coast with sand island salt marshes, estuarys and channels. That is the Channel region has not been submerged as completely. What sort of operational and tactical problems does this present for the Germans of 1940? Assuming little else has changed.

Hi,

The problem is that without the channel everything changes. Its been our best defence and our access to the world since the first day some one made boats. Given a tidal region such as you say. Thats gone. In all probability Britain is part of France, or France is part of us? Or we are both parts of an unknown nation yet to be named.

If you limit the change to the sea levels to recent times to allow a seperate "British" developement then those few miles are going to be the best defended in history, and in we have a bigger army in the to man those defences.

Its too big a change and leaves too many possible answers?
                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Its the English Channel, not San Francisco, There are no major geographical fault lines in the area.

Comment

That you know of!

Comment

The channel bed was surveyed as part of the preperations for the digging of the channel tunnel. There are no active faults in the channel itself.

There are some in the mouth of the channel at the western end but they are so deep underwater that any quake capable of bringing them to the surface would probablybe so devastating as to reduce world war two to a foot note in history. The tsunami effect would be so great as to wipe out the US eastern seaboard. The backwash would take out spain and a sizable chunk of western europe.

If you can manage to do it slowly enough to not cause a tsunami then the down side is that from what I remember they run predominantly east west giving Britain the biggest defensive wall in history.
                      "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Sometimes there really is such a thing as a stupid question. But I'll bite.

Well, King Arthur and his army of Pixies and Unicorns would have drowned the nasty Germans in a flood of flowers and hugs and love. I say WW2 would have ended early summer of 1940 because everyone would have been off at the pond enjoying tea and crumpets, beer and schnitzels.
                        Last edited by Naffenea; 03 Jun 09, 17:35.

Comment

Two options.
                          1. Treat Britain as having no channel and knocked out of the war 1940 or so.
                          2. Treat Britain as having no channel and knocked out of the war 1940 or so.

I think option 2 has more credibility.
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Warmington not on sea any more, would save the day.

And more to the point if the Germans could do this in 1939, I reckon there claims to be the master race might have held more water as fast the english channel held less.

Ofcourse also its worth note that the BEF could have driven home much intact.
                            Ready for street to street, no vichy here.

And evil above all others, no more moat between us and France, id rather auction my balls on Ebay thank you very much.
                            Sealion would have failed..............runs,

Comment

Originally posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
                              And evil above all others, no more moat between us and France, id rather auction my balls on Ebay thank you very much.
                              Hmmm, I enjoy a lot of your posts but I won't be bidding! No offense!

We were told during our visit there that the tectonic activity there was drawing the southeast portion of the island under its neighboring plate. It was that movement that would cause the flood barrier (forget the actual name) on the Thames obsolete in the not too distant future.

Regards,
                              Dennis
                              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X