Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had you been in command of the German army in 1941, how would you have proceeded?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Had you been in command of the German army in 1941, how would you have proceeded?

    You are in 1941, you have secured most of continental Europe, and have covered your back delaying war with the Soviet Union...what would you do next?
    70
    Massive Invasion on the British Islands
    24.29%
    17
    Secure Spains help to get access to Gibraltar
    35.71%
    25
    Massive attack on Russia ( supposing you actually follow the original plan)
    8.57%
    6
    Stay whit what you achieved and fight a defensive war
    18.57%
    13
    Pressed further on Japan to make a 2 flank attack on Russia
    12.86%
    9

    The poll is expired.

    "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

  • #2
    Originally posted by Federico View Post
    You are in 1941, you have secured most of continental Europe, and have covered your back delaying war with the Soviet Union...what would you do next?
    Kill Hitler.

    This belongs in What If.

    Welcome to the forums though .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

    Comment


    • #3
      My vote goes to invading the British Islands, thus finally closing the western front. With no near operations base to launch an invasion, allied forces would be forced to attack via Africa. I would leave the Soviet Union for later, for a joint attack with japan, so they would have 2 fronts instead
      "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

      Comment


      • #4
        Big Oooops, sorry! im new!!. it was intended to be a strategy thread, not a what if question
        "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Federico View Post
          My vote goes to invading the British Islands, thus finally closing the western front. With no near operations base to launch an invasion, allied forces would be forced to attack via Africa. I would leave the Soviet Union for later, for a joint attack with japan, so they would have 2 fronts instead
          Go for it. Some people will think you an easy target. I'll guard your back as long as you hang in there.

          Originally posted by Federico View Post
          Big Oooops, sorry! im new!!. it was intended to be a strategy thread, not a what if question
          Don't worry about it .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

          Comment


          • #6
            In 1941 there is a golden opportunity to demolish the Soviets, waiting much longer will allow them to equip and rebuild and that must be prevented, so an offencive into the Soviet Union is the best bet - though a sustained air and submarine siege of Britain will be required to keep it from getting any ideas.

            The key thing is that the offencive needs to be better planned and executed. It needs to start earlier in the year and logistics needs to keep up with the forward units.

            If the strike is executed right, the key urban and manufacturing centres will all more or less fall into German hands and at that point it should be a matter of containing any counteroffensives launched by the remaining elements of the soviet forces.

            Oh, and don't let the Japanese sucker me into declaring war on the USA. It may only last a few more months, but the longer I can keep official hostilities with them at bay, the better.

            Comment


            • #7
              Easy. Sit tight.

              Its the only option that gives you a chance of victory.

              Invading Britain in 1941 is just a great way of teaching lots of troops how hard it is to swim in full kit. For the few that land, it would be another lesson in how to conduct a land war with no logistics train.

              All the two front strategy stuff working with Japan against Russia is pie in the sky stuff - Japan lacked the logistic capacity, the weapons and the doctrine to make that work.

              Barbarossa could have been done better for sure. Starting earlier would be my second best advice. The first best advice would be "don't try it".

              Stand fast and do your damndest to stop Japan from attacking America. Maintain the trade relationship with Russia. Time is on your side!

              Baldric

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Baldric View Post
                Easy. Sit tight.

                Its the only option that gives you a chance of victory.

                Invading Britain in 1941 is just a great way of teaching lots of troops how hard it is to swim in full kit. For the few that land, it would be another lesson in how to conduct a land war with no logistics train.

                All the two front strategy stuff working with Japan against Russia is pie in the sky stuff - Japan lacked the logistic capacity, the weapons and the doctrine to make that work.

                Barbarossa could have been done better for sure. Starting earlier would be my second best advice. The first best advice would be "don't try it".

                Stand fast and do your damndest to stop Japan from attacking America. Maintain the trade relationship with Russia. Time is on your side!

                Baldric
                Really good stuff, but this is definitely a What If .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                Comment


                • #9
                  Take Gibraltar. Then go for Suez. This would turn the Med. into a axis lake. Also the Italians could link up with the Kreigsmarine. Once they did that the British would be hard pressed to get resources to England.

                  Maybe even Invade England as well.

                  I'm glad they didn't.

                  Welcome aboard.
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Bwaha,Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Want me to go on??
                    Last edited by lcm1; 15 May 09, 02:28.
                    'By Horse by Tram'.


                    I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Federico,Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Want me to go on??
                      Last edited by lcm1; 15 May 09, 02:28.
                      'By Horse by Tram'.


                      I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                        Kill Hitler.

                        This belongs in What If.

                        Welcome to the forums though .
                        Yeah, what Nick says!
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

                        Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Federico View Post
                          You are in 1941, you have secured most of continental Europe, and have covered your back delaying war with the Soviet Union...what would you do next?
                          make darne shore thate japan does not attack pearlhabour until I us germans are ready to deal with thee americans!

                          what do yuo mean delaying war withe thee russians? thee germans attacke russia first,there wase no threat frome russia in thee first place!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Federico View Post
                            You are in 1941, you have secured most of continental Europe, and have covered your back delaying war with the Soviet Union...what would you do next?
                            Dont open fire and go home I would suggest. Conquering the British Isles. This what if usually leads to a right old ding dong!

                            Welcome to the forums sir.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              'Massive Invasion on the British Islands'

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X