No announcement yet.

The Union is Dissolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warday as I recall was based on a stunted nuclear war and was at the time somewhat dated as it purposed a Japan and Germany that worked against the redevelopment of the USA. It came out in the early 1980s when Japan and Germany were much greater economy powerhouses than today and a US that the author(s) seemed convence was unable to fund its own recovery. Perhaps it was true when the book was written but I wonder if true today.

Comment

In Vermont, 12% of the population now favors sucession. I highly doubt that even if they did secede they would want to join with New York of other New England states.

Comment

The first thing that will happen after any breakup is someone is going to try to reunify at least some part(s) by force. Any breakup means immediate and bloody internecene warfare. Imagine Europe in the 19th century; somebody is going to be at war with somebody for an awfully long time!

Good points about international interference! It won't take long for the jackals to start picking over the remains. Jackals always squabble over the best parts; expect multiple international conflicts over who gets what.

Canada is like the innocent bystander that gets shot at a gang fight. But once wounded, she'll be fair game for international poachers just as if she were previously a part of the union.

Mexico starts out well, but soon becomes a victim of geography and bad social structure. Good-by pinata; hello red lantern!

Europe blows up into a huge conflict over which jackals are supported by which vultures.

The world economy collapses.

Half the world population dies of disease, starvation, warfare and social and civil unrest. After that, nobody cares about North America anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
          the only reason Canada is still around is because of America, might as well make that work for us for a change
          The only reason Canada is still around is because of Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by LtCol View Post
            Warday as I recall was based on a stunted nuclear war and was at the time somewhat dated as it purposed a Japan and Germany that worked against the redevelopment of the USA. It came out in the early 1980s when Japan and Germany were much greater economy powerhouses than today and a US that the author(s) seemed convence was unable to fund its own recovery. Perhaps it was true when the book was written but I wonder if true today.
            Generally right. The war was not particularly stunted -- USSR destroyed, most major US cities ditto. I don't recall the roles of the Japanese and Germans, but the Brits form a charity-type organization to help us rebuild.

I suspect the states would do the same thing they did in the book in the absence of a strong central government -- generally fend for themselves in alliance with other states, and I hope the Brits would help us.
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

It pure alarmist to think the US would dissolve. It is possible that the states will demand more rights and power from the floundering federal government. The US states simply cant support themselves, to many years of specialization. You cant compare the US to the USSR in terms of breaking up. Those countries were unified and grouped together by force and held that way at gunpoint. The US even with the civil war(fought over state rights vs federal) was less about wanting to be independent and more about distance from what was viewed as overreaching federal power. Revolution is possible but mass cessation is not right now.

On the premise that it magically dissolved. It would just reform again. Likely immediately neighbor states would gather and form unions of some type. Nearly as quickly they would all meet and at bare minimum have something like the EU in place within a year. As much as we differ we are more alike than not and we would cling to that. The only thing that would slow this process would be world powers who don't want a strong US. Hostile Middle east, N Korea (considering how many consumer imports we take in make no illusions China and Japan love a strong stable US economy) and portions of Europe(France, Russia etc).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X