The Union is Dissolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Union is Dissolved

What would happen if the USA ceased to exist in the near future, and each State became a country?

it probably would be more like regional breads that state ones

Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
    What would happen if the USA ceased to exist in the near future, and each State became a country?
    Time did a cover story several years ago suggesting that America was destine to break up, just like the USSR did, alone religious-political and ethnic lines.

If I recall it was something like this

Pacific States of America
    Aryan Nations
    Southwest Territories
    Dixie
    Great Lakes
    New England/York
    "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

Comment

Which were the "Aryan Nations"? Rocky Mountain region?

Comment

everything between the Cascades and the Dakotas

Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
        Which were the "Aryan Nations"? Rocky Mountain region?
        and south to Utah and Colorado

Comment

I think DC would be F******!!!
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

DC would go NE with the Dems

Invest in moving companies, they will be raking it in

Comment

One of the long running economic advantages of the US has been the ability and willingness of its labor and management force to move about in response to economic trends. In the 1970s & 1980s workers and supervisors from rustbelt cities went southwest to jobs in Texas & California. In the 1990s I found myself interviewing returnees to the midwest as employment and wages rose here.

Breaking up into regions could lead to attempts to 'control' the migration of laborers & managers. Requirements for work visas, quotas on immigration, and outright sealing of borders would have catastrophic long term economic consequences, globally as well as for the US.

Similarly the nearly unrestricted flow of capitol about the US is a advantage that would be tough to do without. So would the flow of information. I noticed the proposed regional 'nations' in the Time magazine artical had little to do with the communications infrastructure. Reorganizing that to correspond to new political entities would be prohibitively expensive and the new governments would screw it up if they tried. The same applies to the electric grid and transportation network. These hypothetical political boundaries cut across railroad networks, areas covered by regional trucking companies, and all sorts of other regional busineses. Applying these rather arbitrary political boundaries willy nilly would create even more economic chaos.

Comment

logistics and infrastructure would not be a consideration if this happens

People are moved my their values and beliefs, not by their concern about where to vacation.

Hollywood flooding the nation with the homosexual agenda.
                South and West with constant immigration issues
                Industrial Midwest with vast economic and employment problems
                Northeast more concerned about the UN than the US

just for a few generalizations.

Comment

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."-George Santayana

I wonder if any of those who are actually promoting secession truly paid attention to what happened the last time it was tried?

I find what the Time magazine article said to be chillingly close to what I have claimed all along-that letting any state break off will lead to multiple states breaking off & total anarchy by the end. Unionists North & South prior to the Civil War saw the same thing. Such a thing can only end in disaster.
                  The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

It would be much better to put the country as a whole back on track

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
                    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."-George Santayana

I wonder if any of those who are actually promoting secession truly paid attention to what happened the last time it was tried?

I find what the Time magazine article said to be chillingly close to what I have claimed all along-that letting any state break off will lead to multiple states breaking off & total anarchy by the end. Unionists North & South prior to the Civil War saw the same thing. Such a thing can only end in disaster.
                    be it mass secession or mass restructing one or the other will be happening in our lifetimes. That is just the way the world is spinning - regions with diferences break off (USSR for example).

Comment

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
                      be it mass secession or mass restructing one or the other will be happening in our lifetimes. That is just the way the world is spinning - regions with diferences break off (USSR for example).
                      Not likely. A lotta hot air by folks who have no influence over such things. People have been claiming that we would split again ever since the shooting ended in 1865. Hasn't happened. And it won't.
                      The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I have always felt the same way HB.

Nobody is better off if the United States of America are no longer United.

Not likely. A lotta hot air by folks who have no influence over such things. People have been claiming that we would split again ever since the shooting ended in 1865. Hasn't happened. And it won't.
                        Ayup.

Comment

Time did a cover story several years ago suggesting that America was destine to break up, just like the USSR did, alone religious-political and ethnic lines.

If I recall it was something like this

Pacific States of America
                          Aryan Nations
                          Southwest Territories
                          Dixie
                          Great Lakes
                          New England/York
                          There are some secessionist movements or organisations in the US, including one or two in the states of the former Confederate States of America, I think. Do any of them have a chance of effectively breaking up or breaking out of the USA? From here, the Union looks like it is here to stay. Indeed, I believe that there are some who are looking to expand the Union by bringing in the Canadian provinces as states. Would many Canadians go for that idea, I wonder?

Comment

might as well make it official

Originally posted by Leander048 View Post
                            There are some secessionist movements or organisations in the US, including one or two in the states of the former Confederate States of America, I think. Do any of them have a chance of effectively breaking up or breaking out of the USA? From here, the Union looks like it is here to stay. Indeed, I believe that there are some who are looking to expand the Union by bringing in the Canadian provinces as states. Would many Canadians go for that idea, I wonder?
                            the only reason Canada is still around is because of America, might as well make that work for us for a change

Comment

the only reason Canada is still around is because of America, might as well make that work for us for a change
                              Wow I guess Canada made no contributions on its own during either of the World Wars or anything since? We simply babysitted them?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X