No announcement yet.

Fleet Carrier present at the Falklands.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleet Carrier present at the Falklands.

Imagine for one moment that Argentina goes ahead with the invasionn of The Falklands and South Georgia and Britain reacts, again by sending a task force. This time the British Fleet includes the Ark Royal of old with Phantoms, Buccaneers and Gannet AEW aircraft embarked.

How would this have effected the course of the conflict from both British and Argentine perspectives?

HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

They didn't and the UK won

If the UK had had the ship they would have still won.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Better air cover gives britain quicker win

the conflict would have been over sooner, with fewer british casualties
      "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

Comment

Given that the guidance system onboard the exocet missile selected the largest available target Ark Royal would probably have caught one rather than the Sheffield.

Comment

The OP specified that Argentina went ahead with the invasion, so I can only agree with the others that Britain would still have won, probably a bit more quickly and with a few less casualties.

The Junta must have assessed the situation and decided that Britain lacked either the will or the capacity to mount a successful counter-invasion.

From what I have read, it was the will that they underestimated. Perhaps the existence of a large RN carrier might have altered that view? I doubt it, but it remains possible.

Once the troops were ashore in numbers, the outcome was never in doubt. The only way Britain could lose in the Falklands was at sea or at the UN.

To change the subject slightly, I never did understand the fuss about the sinking of the Belgrano. Seemed a cut and dried affair to me. If you don't want your warships sunk, don't invade other countries' sovereign territory, and if you do, try to avoid a maritime conflict with a country that has a much more powerful navy than yours. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
            Given that the guidance system onboard the exocet missile selected the largest available target Ark Royal would probably have caught one rather than the Sheffield.
            The Ark would probably have been standing off 50 clicks - not in the same target frame?

Comment

Still within range of exocet carrying mirages though.

If a fleet carrier was such a no-brainer why didn't Maggie send one down?

Comment

Height of the cold war, to much overkill for argentina

If a fleet carrier was such a no-brainer why didn't Maggie send one down?
                With the red fleet at its largest, and much closer keep all capital ships close to home
                "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

Comment

The 4th Ark Royal was decommissioned in 1978 and broken up in 1980. The 5th Ark Royal (half the size) had not been commissioned by the time of the Falklands War.

The RN has not had a fleet carrier since 1978, although a project to build 2 is currently underway. Delivery dates have been slipping ever since the announcement 10 years or so ago.

Comment

Yes, but not in the same target picture as the Sheffield.

Comment

Sort of OT, but the current Falklands thread caught my attention. I'm looking for a photo (think it was originally in either Time or Newsweek at the time) of the Royal Navy steaming to the South Atlantic. I think it was taken on the deck of the flagship and pictured the officers and probably other crew on deck. I always felt it was an excellent portrayal of British resolve in the matter. Sound familiar to anybody?
                      "I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did." - Gen. George S. Patton
                      "In 9 months and 3 days of combat on the Continent the 949th FA Bn had fired 51,000 rounds of ammunition, approimately 2,550 tons." - Unit History

Comment

The Argentines would likely have folded with a negotiated peace before losing a good portion of their air force to what was obviously overwhelming enemy air power.

Comment

The Argies tried to nail a carrier, and got the Atlantic Conveyor instead. I don't see how they would have done any better just because the Ark Royal was there.
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Poor bloody (Royal) Navy.

The RN has not had a fleet carrier since 1978, although a project to build 2 is currently underway. Delivery dates have been slipping ever since the announcement 10 years or so ago.
                            The way things are going, the Navy will be lucky if it has more than a few rowing boats at its disposal manned by sea cadets and the ships cat, so eager are 'the powers that be' to 'optimise' resources (which is weasel politician speak for cost cutting). It is lucky for the Falkland Islanders that Argentina invaded when it did, I doubt the RN could mobilise a similar task force today. Pathetic really for an island nation with a Naval heritage such as ours.
                            HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Folks, the Argentinians launched the Exocets off of Super Etendard IV's they bought from the French. They were the only Argentine aircraft capable of launching that missile. They also used A-4 Skyhawks carrying iron bombs.

I think use of the old Ark Royal would have only provided more targets in the area. They would still have sent the Light Carriers and the Atlantic Conveyor. The presence of Phantoms might have only sent them to higher altitudes to duke it out with Mirages. That is NOT a gimme for the Phantom. The Argentines used Mirages that had been souped up by the Israelis. Since the Israelis had experience with both types, what is to stop them from telling the Argentines how to fight the Phantoms?

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X