Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange New Weapon in ACW?!?!

Just for fun.........

By a twist of fate and stellar geography, strange new weapons from the future arrive in 1862. They can arrive in any quantity up to a battalion (Patton with the Whole 3rd Army, or Gavin and the 82nd Airborne, or Rommel and the entire DAK are out of the question). Ships can arrive in any quantity up to 3, Aircraft up to a Squadron.

What would you have arrive, and exactly how would it affect the outcome of the war....Take into account that the enemy isn't going to roll over and die, and that they will attempt to figure out a way to neutralize the advantage. IE camoflauge against the P-47 spam to make it harder to find the army.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

this looks like a fun one to run with

here is my first brainstorm, having just walked through the TV room while my wife was watching the Aprentice - this show finds its way back in time, and seeing what becomes of America everyone falls on their bayonett.
    "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

Comment

Amphibious Vehicles

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      Just for fun.........

By a twist of fate and stellar geography, strange new weapons from the future arrive in 1862. They can arrive in any quantity up to a battalion (Patton with the Whole 3rd Army, or Gavin and the 82nd Airborne, or Rommel and the entire DAK are out of the question). Ships can arrive in any quantity up to 3, Aircraft up to a Squadron.

What would you have arrive, and exactly how would it affect the outcome of the war....Take into account that the enemy isn't going to roll over and die, and that they will attempt to figure out a way to neutralize the advantage. IE camoflauge against the P-47 spam to make it harder to find the army.
      Given the problem the North had with rivers like at Fredericksburg, this would aid there war effort, until the south started mining rivers like they did ports.

Comment

Modern Artilery

Just for fun.........

I read that during the civil war battlefield casualties from artilery were less than 10%, by WWI that number was close to 90% so a battalion of more modern artillery would have made a diference, the only vulnerability was an exposed gun crew, so long range sniper rifles would be of help.

Comment

Mexican Woman Arrested While Guarding Elaborate Arsenal

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,515695,00.html

send back RAMBA here, just make sure you take her out before the end of the month

Comment

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
            Given the problem the North had with rivers like at Fredericksburg, this would aid there war effort, until the south started mining rivers like they did ports.
            In fact, they did.
            The USS Cairo was the first ship sunk by a nautical mine, in the Yazoo river at the end of 1862, I believe. It has been raised and the remains are on display at Vicksburg, a sight worth seeing.

As far as advanced weapons go, how about the Williams gun? This was a rapid-fire cannon (very small, 1.58") that the South could not pursue because they had no way to make one-piece rounds with metallic primers. If they had... ouch!

Maybe not so much on land, but I think it would have been deadly on water. That kind of weapon in a crows nest could have cleared the deck of any non-iron-clad very quickly.

Comment

Ok, because I forgot to post it in the first post. You also have to deal with the logistics. A Battalion of Abrams Tanks would be awesome rolling across the Manassas battlefield, but what do you do when you're out of gas or ammo? Can you make more, or can you adapt the weapons to utilize ordnance and fuel that coexist with the technology of the times?

Comment

A battalion of modern infantry with night vision (an unpowered version - GEN 1 night vision?), 5.56 assault rifles, M249's, grenade launchers, body armor and TONS of 5.56 ammo and 40mm grenades. Once ammo was gone they could use standard period weaponry.

Comment

I am going to go with a modern M.A.S.H. unit

Comment

I'm personally going to go with 2 Coal-fired Armed Merchant Cruisers and the Seydlitz from WWI. Coal-fired powerplants existed, so getting fuel shouldn't be as much of an issue. The 2 AMCs could commerce-raid, and carry the bounty from US ships to European ports, with enough firepower to require the USN to use significant forces to engage them. The Seydlitz would be used as a blockade buster, hammering major US ports, and pretty much annihilating any of the wooden ships that the US had at the time, with very little damagable areas. A competent engineering crew could be put ashore to assist the Confederacy in manufacturing parts to keep her seaworthy, and even if you couldn't manufacture main gun rounds, the secondary batteries would be more than enough to take out a reinforced squadron in a daytime engagement. Even canister main gun rounds would wreak havoc, and the USN couldn't pin the Seydlitz down b/c they're not fast enough. The only way to actually stop her would be to blockade whatever port she was in with a heavy mine barrage.

Comment

I will go with a Liberty ship loaded with regiments load of M-1Garand semiautomatic rifles, Browing Automatic rifles, Browning .30 cal. air cooled machine guns, Browning .50 cal air cooled machine guns along with ammunition and the machining instructions and dies to manufacture more.
                      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                      George Mason
                      Co-author of the Second Amendment
                      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Ok, because I forgot to post it in the first post. You also have to deal with the logistics. A Battalion of Abrams Tanks would be awesome rolling across the Manassas battlefield, but what do you do when you're out of gas or ammo? Can you make more, or can you adapt the weapons to utilize ordnance and fuel that coexist with the technology of the times?

Stop in downtowwn Richmond after the South surrender.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
                          I will go with a Liberty ship loaded with regiments load of M-1Garand semiautomatic rifles, Browing Automatic rifles, Browning .30 cal. air cooled machine guns, Browning .50 cal air cooled machine guns along with ammunition and the machining instructions and dies to manufacture more.
                          I could go with that, but I'd do either All M 14 and M60. Your tooling is great. Yep, one Liberty ship should work just fine.

IIRC Turtledove came out with a book back in the 90's titled Guns of the South.

South Africans bringing in AR 47's via time warp/machine to arm the CSA. Their agenda is to see that the South wins, the US is just another minor player on the world stage that doesn't bring pressure on the SA Apartheid government. All racist live happily ever after, except in the book.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                            I could go with that, but I'd do either All M 14 and M60. Your tooling is great. Yep, one Liberty ship should work just fine.

IIRC Turtledove came out with a book back in the 90's titled Guns of the South.

South Africans bringing in AR 47's via time warp/machine to arm the CSA. Their agenda is to see that the South wins, the US is just another minor player on the world stage that doesn't bring pressure on the SA Apartheid government. All racist live happily ever after, except in the book.
                            Thanks, Half Pint. Good choices with the M-14 and, IMHO, M-60 especially, except for the plastic parts.

Yah, I remember that series. Turtledove educated himself on weapon systems and basic tactics in the 1990s for some interesting alternate timelines but he never quite got a handle on the intricacies of strategy and logistics. His invasion series was too dependent on the CNN descriptions of Desert Storm. He did get better though.

The main reason I included the manufacturing base was that Turtledove didn't understand the whole logistical and industrial infrastructure thing as well as, say Pournelle in his Janissaries series.
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X