Presidential amnesty leads Frank and Jesse James to White House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential amnesty leads Frank and Jesse James to White House

Rutherford Hayes, seeing the vast popularity the James Brothers have accross the country decides to extend them amnesty and bring them to Washington to join his cabinet after he wins his second term (the added popularity of the amnesty convices Hayes to run for another term). Upon the end of Hayes's second term The James brothers run for president/vp against the Garfield/Arthur ticket, and win on the popular vote and a 12 vote electoral. Being the first executives to have fought for the CSA helps to finally reunify America, and keep her on the course the founding fathers intended, not drifting into insurmountable corruption.
    "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

This is almost as good as the Empire attacks Earth thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
      Rutherford Hayes, seeing the vast popularity the James Brothers have accross the country decides to extend them amnesty and bring them to Washington to join his cabinet after he wins his second term (the added popularity of the amnesty convices Hayes to run for another term). Upon the end of Hayes's second term The James brothers run for president/vp against the Garfield/Arthur ticket, and win on the popular vote and a 12 vote electoral. Being the first executives to have fought for the CSA helps to finally reunify America, and keep her on the course the founding fathers intended, not drifting into insurmountable corruption.
      That any of the thugs who rode with Bloody Bill Anderson would even be considered for higher office in a nation where the North out populated the South is beyond my comprehension.

I really doubt that any Americans who had money in a bank or rode a train between North Texas and Minnesota or Virginia to Kansas thought the James/Younger gang were "vastly popular".
      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
      George Mason
      Co-author of the Second Amendment
      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
        This is almost as good as the Empire attacks Earth thread.
        Agree. Can we keep it at least somewhat plausible?
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Anyone can become an American President

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
          That any of the thugs who rode with Bloody Bill Anderson would even be considered for higher office in a nation where the North out populated the South is beyond my comprehension.

I really doubt that any Americans who had money in a bank or rode a train between North Texas and Minnesota or Virginia to Kansas thought the James/Younger gang were "vastly popular".
          Just look at the occupance of the oval office over the last twenty years.

Comment

Grant was elected president

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
            Agree. Can we keep it at least somewhat plausible?
            Yet a large part of the population held him in lower regard that the James brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
              Yet a large part of the population held him in lower regard that the James brothers.
              Really? Do you have statistics or a study showing that, or is it just a "gut" feeling on your part?

From all these scenarios you've proposed & the comments made, I'd say you've dipped your pen in the inkwell of the Lost Cause a few times.
              The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I think thats why they call it what if's, it purposes a whole new reality

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
                Really? Do you have statistics or a study showing that, or is it just a "gut" feeling on your part?

From all these scenarios you've proposed & the comments made, I'd say you've dipped your pen in the inkwell of the Lost Cause a few times.
                polls tend to be biased based on who takes them, AOL-CNN-Networks lean left and Fox leans right. i would say it is partly due to the diference in quantity of books and movies about each, there seems to be alot more about the James brothers (Jesse in particular) than about Grant.

I am an American and being from Denver a Bronco fan, so yes I take the side of the underdog/lost cause in almost everything. The diference i have noticed here is that I know my @^*% stinks.

Comment

The one screaming problem with this scenario is that it presumes the american voting public are stark staring mad. Its quite possible that the polls are 'correct' but what questions were asked? I prefer Ozzy Osbourne to Gordon Brown but that doesn't mean I think Ozzy would make a better PM!

Likewise there probably are more books written about Jesse James than Grant, but I'd bet there are more books about Hitler than about James and Grant combined.

It also ignores the electoral college system which was set up precisely to stop this sort of insanity happening.

Comment

In America anything is possible

Originally posted by peter_sym View Post
                    The one screaming problem with this scenario is that it presumes the american voting public are stark staring mad. Its quite possible that the polls are 'correct' but what questions were asked? I prefer Ozzy Osbourne to Gordon Brown but that doesn't mean I think Ozzy would make a better PM!

Likewise there probably are more books written about Jesse James than Grant, but I'd bet there are more books about Hitler than about James and Grant combined.

It also ignores the electoral college system which was set up precisely to stop this sort of insanity happening.
                    Just look at our last four presidents, their opponents, and the rest of the news making politicians running around. In a country where Oprah can decide the presidency well

The electoral college is far from perfect, again just look at the last few elections. In pennsylvania it does not matter how the rest of the state votes, philadelphia decides who gets our electorals, and it is much the same in the top poppulated states.

Comment

Can an American please explain to me the concept behind the electoral college when electing presidents. As your voting for one person wouldnt it be more straight forward to just count each vote individually so you wouldnt get that songa and dance in Florida back in 2000 and no minority presidencies.

Comment

I guess the potential public corruption wasnt enough

Can an American please explain to me the concept behind the electoral college when electing presidents. As your voting for one person wouldnt it be more straight forward to just count each vote individually so you wouldnt get that songa and dance in Florida back in 2000 and no minority presidencies.
                        The politicians needed to make sure the public can never out them in mass, so they invented the convoluted electoral college to make sure the people would be to confused to ever realize we cant get rid of political corruption.

Comment

You mean blind the public with pregnant chads.

Comment

Not easily.

My recollection is that while the Congressional repepresentatives were viewed as elected directly by the populous, the POTUS and VP were perceived as being elected by the consensus of the sates with the advice and consent of the people.

In a word, it was thought a preventative to Jesse or Frank James being elected in theory. In practice, the early influence of the parties completely eliminated the supposed conscience and deeliberation of the electors almost from the start.
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

The James Brothers had no shortage of Press, why not turn that to their gain

America has had an infatuation with outlaws (especially Robin Hood types)and gunfighters throughout most of its history. Some may argue that the fascination with criminals ended with the Nixon and Clinton Administrations, but that is not the "what if" in question, so lets continue shall we.
                              If Jesse James had not been shot in the back by a coward, he could have conceivable run for office. With his brother Frank both having national renown in a county recovering from the Civil War and busy envolved in armed conflict with plains Indians, people would want a change, and the romantic figures the James brothers represented would be ideal since people were still recovering from Lincolns assasination and the corruption of Grants administration.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X