Joan of Arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joan of Arc

I was doing a report for French class on Rouen, France, and read that Joan of Arc was burned at the stake (by the French themselves?) there. It made me wonder what would be different if they hadn't killed her. Equality for women earlier? Make her queen?

Any ideas?
    "You realize that if I could actually purchase a weapon, I would stab you with it now?" --Roy, Order of the Stick #136

Governor of South Florida, Cuba, Louisiana, Manhattan, Hawaii, Illinois, Moon and Mars. Chief of Cybernetics Div., S.INC

Re: Joan of Arc

Originally posted by Bariman
    I was doing a report for French class on Rouen, France, and read that Joan of Arc was burned at the stake (by the French themselves!) there. It made me wonder what would be different if they hadn't killed her. Equality for women earlier? Make her queen?

Any ideas?
    I thought it was the Burgundians who burned Joan of Arc. As to what may have happened if she lived longer......you might have seen women in traditionally male jobs sooner, but I doubt it. Joan was embraced by the French because she brought them military victories in a time when they had been getting their collective butts kicked. Once peace returned I think she would have been religated back to more traditional roles. As to becoming Queen, simply, no way!
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Joan of Arc

Originally posted by Lance Williams
      I thought it was the Burgundians who burned Joan of Arc. As to what may have happened if she lived longer......you might have seen women in traditionally male jobs sooner, but I doubt it. Joan was embraced by the French because she brought them military victories in a time when they had been getting their collective butts kicked. Once peace returned I think she would have been religated back to more traditional roles. As to becoming Queen, simply, no way!
      Actually the Burgundians did capture Joan of Arc and then sold her to the English. She was put on trial by English sympathizers nad the rest is history.
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I seem to recall visiting the place where she was torched on one of my fact-finding missions to France. I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

About the torching, the fact-finding mission, or France?
          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvalla
            About the torching, the fact-finding mission, or France?
            The first one and the last one.

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Joan was a moralizing, pious, teenager.

She was killing all the parties in court, and constantly irritated
              Charles by telling him that he should stop spending time with
              loose women.

If she had not been martyred, I would expect a convent for her.

Comment

One of the best sites I've seen with accurate info about Joan of Arc is New Advent .
                Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X