Gettysberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettysberg

Had Lee listened to Longstreet would Gettysberg and the US Cival War turned out differently?

Gettysburg might have, but the South could never have won the war.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Gettysburg would have just been a minor engagement should Lee have listened to Longstreet. I also agree that the south would never have won the war, regardless of Gettysburg.

European powers would never have sided with the south mainly because of the institution of slavery. I do feel, though, that Europe would have broken the Yankee naval blockade if it was clear that the south would win the Civil War.
      "Aaah, the Luftwaffe, the Washington Senators of the History Channel."
      -- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Something else to consider. Gettysburg did not happen in a vacuum. No matter what happened at Gettysburg, short of complete annihilation of the Army of the Potomac the South was destined to lose at that point. In the Civil War annihilation of an enemy army was difficult, if not impossible. Vicksburg surrendered on 7/4/1863, a day after Pickett's Charge. A couple of months later, the Confederacy would have one of it's only major Western Theater successes at Chickamauga which turned to be for nought because Chattanooga was seized for good by late November 1863.
        I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

The South could have won if they would impose guerrilla warfare, but using traditional tactics...no. The North had 10 men for every one killed and the South was vastly running short of men. The North had giant factories, while the South's factories and its economy in general where in distress and complete chaos. Gettysburg just would have prolonged the war against the South.

Skoal!

Comment

Originally posted by nreese21
            The South could have won if they would impose guerrilla warfare, but using traditional tactics...no. The North had 10 men for every one killed and the South was vastly running short of men. The North had giant factories, while the South's factories and its economy in general where in distress and complete chaos. Gettysburg just would have prolonged the war against the South.

Skoal!
            Guerrilla warfare would have prolonged the war, but it could not have won it. If it had been implemented the remaining social structure of the South would have been destroyed and the likely evolution would have been the concentration camps used by the British in the Boer War. Sure some rebels could have held out in the inaccessable areas of the Appalachians (like the Cherokees did in the 1830's), but it would have been at the expense of their wives and children.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I believe that the war would have lasted much longer and the Army of the Potomac would have had more than it wished to take if the Army of Northern Virginia had removed itself and picked a defensive position between the AOP and DC. (Longstreet's idea).
              Short story......they would have to fight the long fight to make sure that DC was safe. Keeping the AOP busy, Lee could have called for more troops from NC, etc. to harass the Capital.
              The best offense is a good defense.......I believe that this could have turned out to be close to another Fredericksburg if not for men like Hancock, Warren, and Meade.
              These would never have pulled a Fredericksburg move on the ANV. But imagine the time that would have been consumed trying to work out a flanking maneuver.......especially with Stuart back at the Confederate HQ.

Mark
              Deo Vindice
              Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

I believe it would have. And they may have still won if they were able to win that battle. But still it is highly doublful

Comment

Abraham Lincoln, in personal accounts, feared the possiblity of a geurilla war. In some accounts, he even stated that he was willing to give up on the war on almost any terms. Fortunately the war ended before guerilla war started. The South could have won if that had happenned, but we probably would have started another war with them later to get them back, considering that their economic positions would be extremely unstable and unable to support another large scale war.

Comment

Re: Gettysberg

Originally posted by gskoutas
                    Had Lee listened to Longstreet would Gettysberg and the US Cival War turned out differently?
                    It is possible, if not probable, though the CSA would still have lost, as the Union's technology, industry and greater manpower kept inflicting losses the South could not afford to take.
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Originally posted by nreese21

Skoal!
                      This stuff about the North having ten men for every one that the South had is mitigated by the fact that many of the North's victories in the West came while they were outnumbered or at near equal numbers to their foes.
                      I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X