Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Capa's Photos

Not Alt-History but a how do you feel?

What if that developer hadn't over cooked those photos, would D-day be more relatable for us?
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Yes, and I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he went to see the bloke who messed up the prints!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
      Yes, and I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he went to see the bloke who messed up the prints!

Dr. S.
      As an old Combat photographer, I can give you an approximate estimation as to that conversation:

AP Office in London a week after D-Day....

Mr Capra is in the office and is asking about the proof sheets of the shots from Omaha so he could make his selections and cropping them for the best dramatic effect. He knows that there are several that are guarranteed Pulitzer prizes there.

'Where is the proof sheets? I got some great stufff there!"

The photo editor says, "Robert, glad to see you back in one piece. Know that must have been rough on the beaches. Come into my office and we'll have a toast to celebrate your return."

They go in and the door is closed and the editor says as he pours a double shot of Jack Daniel in a glass for the photgrapher.

"Bob, we had a problem with the stuff you shot. Seems that one of the guys was developing the film, left it too long in the dryer and we lost all but a few of your shots."

"WHAT THE #$$%^& DID YOU SAY??! THOSE WERE MY MONEY SHOTS AND YOU LET A $%&***( !! SCREW UP THOSE NEGATIVES?! " Capra yells out.

He takes the drink and downs it with one gulp and takes a breath and thinks a moment..

"Ok, that's just fine. " he says.

The editor feeling relieved that Capra is over the initial shock and anger begins to breathe easier.

"Tell ya what. I go back to France in a day or two. I need someone to help me with cataloging the film and running errands to the rear. I want this guy to go with me. I can teach him stuff that he will never learn back here and he'll be a better technician." Capra smiles and holds his glass out for a refill.

The editor rapidly agrees and the hapless tech is soon on his way to Normandy with Capra.

A couple of weeks go by and the film is being processed with out any problems. The incident is soon forgotten by many.

Capra calls the office in July and asks for the editor.

"Ya know that guy you sent out with me? "
      "Yes..."
      "Well, he took one of the greatest shots of the war! He got a actual shot of a artillery round hitting a Tiger tank on the moment of impact. A really great shot.!"
      "When can we expect to see it?" The editor is salivating about the shot.

"Never. Seems he was right where the round hit."

Moral of the story: NEVER leave film in a dryer for more than the time that Kodak calls for and especially if it's that of a combat photographer."

Of course y'all know this was all in fun and never happened, but I will bet you anything that Capra wished it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter
        As an old Combat photographer, I can give you an approximate estimation as to that conversation:

AP Office in London a week after D-Day....

Mr Capra is in the office and is asking about the proof sheets of the shots from Omaha so he could make his selections and cropping them for the best dramatic effect. He knows that there are several that are guarranteed Pulitzer prizes there.

'Where is the proof sheets? I got some great stufff there!"

The photo editor says, "Robert, glad to see you back in one piece. Know that must have been rough on the beaches. Come into my office and we'll have a toast to celebrate your return."

They go in and the door is closed and the editor says as he pours a double shot of Jack Daniel in a glass for the photgrapher.

"Bob, we had a problem with the stuff you shot. Seems that one of the guys was developing the film, left it too long in the dryer and we lost all but a few of your shots."

"WHAT THE #$$%^& DID YOU SAY??! THOSE WERE MY MONEY SHOTS AND YOU LET A $%&***( !! SCREW UP THOSE NEGATIVES?! " Capra yells out.

He takes the drink and downs it with one gulp and takes a breath and thinks a moment..

"Ok, that's just fine. " he says.

The editor feeling relieved that Capra is over the initial shock and anger begins to breathe easier.

"Tell ya what. I go back to France in a day or two. I need someone to help me with cataloging the film and running errands to the rear. I want this guy to go with me. I can teach him stuff that he will never learn back here and he'll be a better technician." Capra smiles and holds his glass out for a refill.

The editor rapidly agrees and the hapless tech is soon on his way to Normandy with Capra.

A couple of weeks go by and the film is being processed with out any problems. The incident is soon forgotten by many.

Capra calls the office in July and asks for the editor.

"Ya know that guy you sent out with me? "
        "Yes..."
        "Well, he took one of the greatest shots of the war! He got a actual shot of a artillery round hitting a Tiger tank on the moment of impact. A really great shot.!"
        "When can we expect to see it?" The editor is salivating about the shot.

"Never. Seems he was right where the round hit."

Moral of the story: NEVER leave film in a dryer for more than the time that Kodak calls for and especially if it's that of a combat photographer."

Of course y'all know this was all in fun and never happened, but I will bet you anything that Capra wished it.
        Good answer! :thumb:
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X