Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1946 US Pacific Fleet VS 1941 Japanese Fleet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 US Pacific Fleet VS 1941 Japanese Fleet?

Suppose that while on maneuvers in the Pacific, the US Pacific Fleet of 1946 suddenly found itself facing the oncomming attack force of the 1941 Japanese fleet that was on its way to attack Pearl Harbor? What would your course of action be, and why?

Launch the air fleet that is the combined air power from I don't know how many carriers I would have if the entire fleet was present while swarming them with fleets of subs, and call in the B-29s to drop the nukes...

I am not sure I get the point of the question.

Comment

Sounds like this film.
      The Final Countdown (1980)
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

It wouldnt even be close.

Comment

When I see these sort of What IF's it opens up a whole lot of questions about the person who posed the question in the first place.Is he old enough to have a drivers licence? Didn't think so.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
            When I see these sort of What IF's it opens up a whole lot of questions about the person who posed the question in the first place.Is he old enough to have a drivers licence? Didn't think so.
            Hey "Half Pint" I'm old enough, have the gray( or grey if you wish ) hairs to prove it.
            This is an "Alternate History" forum, so I thought I'd pose a unique question; RE: 'If the US Pacific Fleet of 1946 suddenly found itself confronting the approaching Japanese Fleet of 1941 that was to attack Pearl Harbor, *would* what would their actions be and why?'
            It has *nothing* to do with the movie "The Final Countdown," as my question asks you to consider what the ramafications might be if that Japanese Fleet *did not* attack Pearl, while a) Their other attacks went off like clock-work, or B) Their other attacks were cancelled due to the Fleet's sudden dissaperance. What would this do to the US potential war plans, etc.?

Comment

The problem is it follows no real logic. If the US Pacific Fleet of 1946 exists who pissed off America to build it? We Americans wouldn't go off and build some ridiculous amount of fighting material without an enemy. Generally speaking these forums pose an alternate view on something that DID happen in history. The example here seems me like saying, ok so there is an M1A1 and 5 King Tigers...who wins? Its not really based on anything, might as well be "On the way to Pearl Harbor the Japanese Navy runs into Voltron and he is carrying an American flag".

In a strictly arena match style fight between the 1941 Japanese Navy and the 1946 American Pacific fleet, well lets just say the sea would be littered with Japanese scrap metal (not an indictment on the Japanese Navy but 1941-1946 saw a lot of advancement in both tactics and technology).

With regards to how it would effect the political and military ramifications etc etc....If Japan knew we had a fleet the size and power of the 1946 Pacific Fleet they would have just stayed home.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyramon View Post
                The problem is it follows no real logic. If the US Pacific Fleet of 1946 exists who pissed off America to build it? We Americans wouldn't go off and build some ridiculous amount of fighting material without an enemy. Generally speaking these forums pose an alternate view on something that DID happen in history. The example here seems me like saying, ok so there is an M1A1 and 5 King Tigers...who wins? Its not really based on anything, might as well be "On the way to Pearl Harbor the Japanese Navy runs into Voltron and he is carrying an American flag".

In a strictly arena match style fight between the 1941 Japanese Navy and the 1946 American Pacific fleet, well lets just say the sea would be littered with Japanese scrap metal (not an indictment on the Japanese Navy but 1941-1946 saw a lot of advancement in both tactics and technology).

With regards to how it would effect the political and military ramifications etc etc....If Japan knew we had a fleet the size and power of the 1946 Pacific Fleet they would have just stayed home.
                Excellent, from start of finish.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Besides i reckon Canadas 1946 navy would have given the 1941 japs a run for there money.
                  Am i missing some logic to this, I aint the sharpest tool in the box.
                  Sealion would have failed..............runs,

Comment

Well, all that supposing aside, what I think the guy wanted to know was IF the 1946 USNAVY were to encounter the IJN's Pearl Harbor bombing fleet, WHAT would happen?
                    IMHO I believe that the US would open up a very large can of whupass and anhiliate the (obsolete) IJN forces. Does that answer the question?
                    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Would what would have happened IF the 1941 Pearl Harbor bombing fleet had been intercepted by the only carrier fleets in the area in 1941 the Lexington and the Enterprise along with some of the battleships and screens that were in port.

I still think that the 6 Japanese Carriers would have given them a butt whopping but this question makes more sense than the 1946 fleet.

Who knows I am a WWI buff anyway not really WWII

Comment

I doubt that the USN 1946 would have been built if the IJN had not visited Pearl Harbour in 1941. As to my fellow Canadian maintaing that the RCN could have beaten the IJN > No way no how . The RCN was good but it was an ASW navy even theen.

"To all who serve , have or will serve , Thank You"

Comment

This is just a silly question. The USN 1946 Pacific fleet could put 2000+ planes in the air. The six fleet carriers of the IJN could barely muster 450.

Comment

Originally posted by strathnaver View Post
                            I doubt that the USN 1946 would have been built if the IJN had not visited Pearl Harbour in 1941. .
                            That's actually incorrect. Many of the capital elements of the USN 1946 fleet were ordered in 1938, 1939 and 1940 budgets. Even without active participation WWII, the USN was undergoing a massive expansion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X