X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
    Draining the Pripyat Marshes would be an engineering project of epic size. The marshes cover roughly 98,419.5 square kilometres (38,000 sq. miles) and considering the terrain and engineering equipment of the era it would take years, if not decades, to drain.
    The Kankakee Marsh was about 20% of the Pripyat Marsh. It took experinced Dutch emmigrants and hydralic engineers several decades to complete the project. Looking at the area on Google Earth or from the car window I see a dense network of deep ditches and muddy fields with frequent patches of woods. Almost as bad as what the Allies faced in Holland in 1944-45. The Italian Pontine Marsh South West of Rome is another example of a 1920s drainage project. It remained a barrier to both the Germans and US Army, with or without floods.

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
    and what if German supply submarines were used there?
    ...with their concrete supply tubes? No need when there's a land bridge across the Channel

Draining the Pripyat Marshes would be an engineering project of epic size. The marshes cover roughly 98,419.5 square kilometres (38,000 sq. miles) and considering the terrain and engineering equipment of the era it would take years, if not decades, to drain.

If it was drained, partisan activity in the area would've been reduced considerably since it was a safe haven for them. Russia would have to devote more troops for defense of the area and Germany wouldn't be able to use the area to guard the flanks of AGS and AGC.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    As a guess, if they had been drained then the USSR military would have taken attempted to defend that are differently. I dont know about European practice, but draining the local Kankakee Marsh required a dense network of deep ditches. The local streams are often elevated and held in by levees or dykes. Everything, the fields, woods, ditch and stream beds have a mix of fine silt, sand, and organic soil that makes a bottomless mud. Perhpas the drained Pripyat Marsh would be the same?

Leave a comment:

• Gott Heinrici
    replied
    Well thats an interesting concept Piero. I'm sure that they would have been used if they had designed them for Sealion! Given that amphibious PzIII's that were designed for Sealion were used in Barbarossa we can conclude that Supply Subs would have been an important feature of the campaign, but only if the Marshes were not drained!

Leave a comment:

• piero1971
    replied
    and what if German supply submarines were used there?

Leave a comment:

• Gott Heinrici
    started a topic Pripet marshes

Pripet marshes

I am just wondering if the Pripet marshes were drained, would this have affected operation Barbarossa? I'd be interested in your opinions!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X