Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psyhcoward View Post
    Put it down to Ohio bias

I think the large numbers of workers needed to build such a canal in the 1700's would have soured French and Indian relations a bit too. One reason the French got on so well with the Indians was that they were not seen to be as much of a threat to the natives as the English were turning out to be. The French didn't have near the number of settlers as the English.
    There may have been a third way. With skilled government, diplomacy, hefty bribes or rewards, and a carefull settlement pattern the French might have incorporated the native nations into New France with less bloodshed. In the US some groups were reaching a stable accomodation, until Jacksons 'Removal' policy was instituted. By the Removal the Cherokee were printing books, had a functional bank and credit system suitable for their agricultural economy and were transitioning from subsistance farming to comercial farming. In Indiana here and other states there were a number of small groups that had 'civilized' to the point where they were able to avoid the Removal and remain.

Long odds, and certainly not every tribe or nation would have survived, but it is not impossible the French could have reached an accomodation. After all the French were also then assimilating the varied groups of France.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
      There may have been a third way. With skilled government, diplomacy, hefty bribes or rewards, and a carefull settlement pattern the French might have incorporated the native nations into New France with less bloodshed. In the US some groups were reaching a stable accomodation, until Jacksons 'Removal' policy was instituted. By the Removal the Cherokee were printing books, had a functional bank and credit system suitable for their agricultural economy and were transitioning from subsistance farming to comercial farming. In Indiana here and other states there were a number of small groups that had 'civilized' to the point where they were able to avoid the Removal and remain.

Long odds, and certainly not every tribe or nation would have survived, but it is not impossible the French could have reached an accomodation. After all the French were also then assimilating the varied groups of France.

Now that really is interesting. If the French had been able to keep from going to war with the tribes and used a relationship to allie and integrate them into New France. Pontiac, Tecumseh later given good support by French troops. Giving that Tecumseh would have been dealing with French instead of Brits at Detroit. You might be speaking French right now.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
        actually when I first read the title I thought it was about what if:

- france restarts colonisation (unlikely)

or

- france beeing colonized by africans and arabs (ongoing)

lol...
        No comment about the second remark
        By the way my dear Helvete, I have heard that during the American revolution, Louis XVI sent Swiss guards (they were one of the elite troop of the french Army) with general de Rochambeau army, do you have any information about it?
        à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
        (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

in 1706, there was a Swiss regiment at the seervice of France with over 12'800 men. there was also a Swiss elite guard regiment in the king's personal guard (a company of about a hundred of which was massacred at the Tuileries by the paris mob on july 10 1792 - their officers refused to give the order to shoot on the civilians....).

but I am no expert in this time...

I dont' know if parts of the swiss regiment served in the americas. for sure there were swiss mercenaries probably on both sides as either officers or normal soldiers as this was a big business for catholic cantons at the time and switzerland had a great reputation (like prussia or hesse) for disciplined men and well trained officers...

if you have an oob of the french expedionary force, you probably will see iof there are parts of the swiss regiment (in french: régiment suisse or more likely in the french of the time: régiment des suissess)
          "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by Psyhcoward View Post
            Now that really is interesting. If the French had been able to keep from going to war with the tribes and used a relationship to allie and integrate them into New France. Pontiac, Tecumseh later given good support by French troops. Giving that Tecumseh would have been dealing with French instead of Brits at Detroit. You might be speaking French right now.
            More likely I'd not exist since my Irish ancestored mother would not have met my second generation American father. But then again the French might have encouraged onter nationalities to emigrate to New France, so in that case it would be possible.

Comment

More likely I'd not exist since my Irish ancestored mother would not have met my second generation American father. But then again the French might have encouraged onter nationalities to emigrate to New France, so in that case it would be possible.
              They did with German and Swiss German, I think It's Law the minister of

Louis XV who encourage this immigration, a lot of my Cajuns friends have

German And Swiss german Ancestors. Between Lafayette And New Orleans

You have a lake called "lac des Allemands" which you call translate by Lake of the German
              à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Comment

Theres been a few brief remarks in this thread about French emmigration policy for New France, and the pressure, or lack of to immigrate from France. I wonder what the books are (in French or English) that describe the populations movements in Europe during the 17th & 18th Centuries, and dynamics of emmigration to the Americas. The details of the reasons for the massive migration to the British Colonys, and the smaller movement to the French or others woudl be a interesting read.

Comment

Theres been a few brief remarks in this thread about French emmigration policy for New France, and the pressure, or lack of to immigrate from France. I wonder what the books are (in French or English) that describe the populations movements in Europe during the 17th & 18th Centuries, and dynamics of emmigration to the Americas. The details of the reasons for the massive migration to the British Colonys, and the smaller movement to the French or others woudl be a interesting read.
                  Dear Carl, I think one of the main reason of emmigration of population to the english colonies was the religious one (since the mayflower).
                  All protestants who were persecuted in Europe could take refuge in the 13 colonies, the last ones but not the least, the huguenots did the same.

Comment

Dear Carl, I think one of the main reason of massive emmigration to the english colonies was the religious one (that's since the mayflower).
                    All protestants who were persecuted in Europe could take refuge in the 13 colonies. The last ones but not the least, the huguenots did the same.
                    (francis Marion the Swamp Fox of Paul Revere, were one of them)

Comment

I was curious about book titles as I recall a book from years ago. Described the economic and social condition In England Wales & Scotland just as the great wave of emmigration started. Cant recall the details tho the author descibed the economic pressures as the common land medival farm system finally disappeared and the large estates that were comercially farmed evicted the surplus labor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X