South Africa throws out British-joins Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa throws out British-joins Axis

Not sure this would have made a major difference, Just never seen it discussed here.
    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Strange that never happened. The Afrikaners actually had more in common with their Germanic cousins than they did with the Brits.
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I can say that if S.A. would have joined the Axis, it would have mattered naught, the Allies would have squashed them like a bug, too much importance with Naval Ports and supply bases.
      If you sacrifice freedom to obtain some security, you deserve neither and will gain none.

There never was a good war or a bad peace.

Comment

I wonder what portion of the population considered themselves Afrikanners and what part thought of themselves as Englishmen? Britian had encouraged emmigration.

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
          Strange that never happened. The Afrikaners actually had more in common with their Germanic cousins than they did with the Brits.
          They were decended from Dutch settlers. I wonder what they thought of the German invasion and occupation of Holland?

Comment

I have seen it written many times that the Afrikaaners had more in common with the Germans. Their language bore more similarities to German and furthermore the National Party which was elected after the war was the party that institutionalized apartheid. They held many similar beliefs to that of the Nazi Party when it came to racism & genetics.

In my time studying white supremacy at university, I had read that many Afrikanners openly professed their respect for what the Nazi Party was doing in Europe.

As for the question of what would have happened if they joined the Axis camp, my feeling is that the Australian & New Zealander troops that were being sent to Egypt/North Africa would have been sent to South Africa instead. Although i'm not sure how feasable this would have been given the state of operations once the Afrika Corps arrived in Libya.

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythmik View Post
              I have seen it written many times that the Afrikaaners had more in common with the Germans. Their language bore more similarities to German
              Dutch is one of the variations of Low German. Similar to old English which grew out of a combination of the Saxon and Frisian dialects of the six & seventh Century German warriors who settled in Britian. Afirkaans begain diverging from Dutch after the British took control of the Cape Colony and immigration from Holland fell off.

Dutch who immigrated to Jasper County near here in the late 19th and early 20th Century were ultra conservative in their racial and political views. They were adherents of the Dutch Reformed Church with simlarities to the Afrikaans religious practice. They also had retained business, family, and other connections to Holland. After the German occupation in 1940 they lost any admiration of the nazis and were quite opposed to the Isolationsit groups in the US. Instead favoring Roosevelts support and intervention policys. Perhaps the Afrikaaners were too long removed from their Dutch ancestors to have much empathy or knowledge of events under the German occupation.

The Afrikaaner's opinion of the British no doubt influenced their thinking as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X