Washington catches a sniper's bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington catches a sniper's bullet

I was watching a show on tv some time ago about snipers and it said that a British sniper in the American Revolutionary War. Had Gen. Washington in his sights and could have taken and had a good chance of hitting and killing him. My questions are simple: What would have happened to the war effort? and What would the future hold? Like would the be another revolution or would the colonies become like canada and what about the rest of the what is today the United States?
    2013 I'm going into West Point if it kills me. 2017 (or 2012 depending on West Point) I'm joining the Airborne if it kills me and it actually might.

Originally posted by Gidia View Post
    I was watching a show on tv some time ago about snipers and it said that a British sniper in the American Revolutionary War. Had Gen. Washington in his sights and could have taken and had a good chance of hitting and killing him. My questions are simple: What would have happened to the war effort? and What would the future hold? Like would the be another revolution or would the colonies become like canada and what about the rest of the what is today the United States?
    It happened at the Battle of Brandywine Creek. British Captain Patrick Ferguson, who was armed with a rifle of his own design, spied a high ranking American Officer on horseback, giving orders to subordinates, all within easy "plinking range." Ferguson decided to let the American live rather than drop him, because shooting officers was not considered proper form in the British Army.

Had Washington been killed, the Revolution would have gone on, but with a different General at its head. My guess would be Nathaniel Greene.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I heard about this in 5th Grade sometime...pretty incredible, if you ask me. We would'nt want 'ol George dying would we?

I never knew that Ferguson's rifle was of his own design though. That's pretty interesting too.
      Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

He gets out his penknife and engraves his name in it....

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

In many ways Washington's contribution was not as a general as such, but as a war leader. His campaigns were not very impressive, but his ability to hold his army together was unmatched. Without him things could have been quite different.
          What would Occam say?

Comment

Nathanial Greene did do a good job also. The war may have turned out different, but eventually I think we would have pulled through. Remember, Washington was also almost captured.
            It's not that I should win, but that others should loose.

Comment

I think there are very very few cases where an individual make the difference between victory and defeat. America won the WoI because Britain could not rule at such distance without resorting to means which would not have been acceptable to a domestic audience - slaughtering white settlers who were in pursuit of aims which British people largely agreed with would not go down well at election time.

Washington was a true example of a father of a nation, but I suspect that you are right and that others could have filled his shoes at least adequately. His death could have lead to a temporary defeat, but the end was almost a certainty.
              What would Occam say?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X