A Red Dawn reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Red Dawn reality

What if an invasion of the United States by a coalition of communist forces (USSR, China, SE Asia, Cuba, Central America) in the 1980's did occur? Would the United States suffer a major defeat or would the communist forces be shoved off the continent?
    "The U.S. has broken the second rule of war. That is don't go fighting with your land army on the mainland of Asia. Rule One is don't march on Moscow. I developed these two rules myself." - Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery referring to the Vietnam War

Assuming no nukes were involved?

Nukes involved: more than one continent ends up being a self-heating glass parking lot.

No nukes involved: The Warsaw pact gets a good lesson in the difficulties involved in force-projection, in the process losing in their bid to 'take over' North America. (hopefully my old TLAT battalion doing its part and then some).

Comment

Assuming conventional warfare, the Warsaw Pact troops would find out that conquering and holding a country the size of the US is a logistical nightmare. Maybe gains at first, but the US, Canada and NATO would prevail and inflict a major woopin' of a!? :thumb:
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

And don't forget my old TLAT battalion doing its part.:thumb:

Comment

Americans and Canadians are too stubborn to let the Russians (or anyone else) stay in North America. I don't think it would ever come to the point where the Warsaw pact would be at the brink of invading the US and/or Canada. If they did and tried to do it by surprise, whoever did not support them would turn on them instantly.
          Pvt. Bob Mana,
          Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Re: A Red Dawn reality

Originally posted by GeneralMonty2
            What if an invasion of the United States by a coalition of communist forces (USSR, China, SE Asia, Cuba, Central America) in the 1980's did occur? Would the United States suffer a major defeat or would the communist forces be shoved off the continent?
            They are stopped at (or before) the Appalachians and Rocky Mountains, and destroyed in detail. Each of them, in consequence of fighting an undeclared war, are forced to pay ruinous reparations, and are no longer allowed to field offensive forces (a la Japan).
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Catching NATO by surprise, the Reds advance into American territory. Russia takes Alaska and fights down through Canada. Cuba hits Florida. China Attacks Washington/Oregon. A hodgepodge third world force moves up from Mexico. However, the farther the enemy advances into our territory the more they fall prey to partisan actions behind their lines. Face it, most people in the US own a gun, or have at least fired one before. Clearing out places Illonios or Texas would be a nightmare. Every house would be a potential sniper nest, and every city would have to be taken in street by street fighting. Add this with the huge supply lines that they would have to deal with, and I see no real way that they could win.

Comment

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
                Americans and Canadians are too stubborn to let the Russians (or anyone else) stay in North America.
                Heck, we came darned close to whippin' the Yankees -- we sure don't want any funny-talking "furriners" running around down here.
                Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                http://www.mormon.org
                http://www.sca.org
                http://www.scv.org/
                http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Yup.

I don't see how they could keep the momentum going after the initial invasion, they'd simply bog down in the Rockies, Tornado Alley and the Appalachians... kinda like in Fortress America...
                  If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I can see it now......

A column of Mexican motorized Infantry (Old ford pickups, VW vans/bugs, etc. etc.) supported with tanks moving cross country.

A farmer in faded blue denim overalls slowly rocking back 'n forth in his chair, a double-barrled 12-gauge cassually placed across his lap, and he spits out a stream of brown chiwin' ta'baccy an' says: "Damn mexi'kans"...*cha-chick*

Seriously folks, taking a modern city with conventional warfare?
                    Nigh on impossible if defenders well armed, modivated, and led.

Think about Stalingrad with snipers on the 50th floor!? Or troops deploying using subway systems, dropping mines from way above tanks, and infantry clearing a 75 story sky-scraper one floor at a time....

Comment

"Soviet mech infantry batallion mugged in Bronx"
                      I can see it now.
                      Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long
                        "Soviet mech infantry batallion mugged in Bronx"
                        I can see it now.

Ouch!

Comment

Guards Tank Division? We didn't see no stinkin' guards, just a bunch of guys in cammo and tanks actin' like they was army soldiers or sumthin'. I few even carried some steel, you know, AKs and stuff. Pretty boys might even known how to use 'em.

Said they was here to liberate us from our oppressors. They said they was here to help start a pop'lar revolution; I told them Pepsi tried that revolution thing, it didn't work.

They said something 'bout So-Viet marines comin' ashore. I didn't see no John Wayne Stryker marines, but I did see a whole buncha guys that looked like they was ready to bust a move to 'YMCA'.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Soviets taking New York????
                            Fuggedaboutit!!!
                            Pvt. Bob Mana,
                            Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

"There are some parts of New York, Major, that you wouldn't want to invade"

Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca...1941...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X