• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is picture of tachanka from Soviet children book
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is photo of Soviet Cavalry (with tachanka) in 1941

Translation of text:

Top picture - Russian cavalry in attack in summer of 1941. [Tachanka supported cavalry attack by machine gun fire] Tachanka and machine gun on tachanka - completely like in time of Civil war.

Bottom picture - Beginning of cavalry attack [in 1941]. Every Russian cavalrymen has sabre and carabine.
      Attached Files

Comment

Andrey

The photos were outstanding. Good work! The Tachanka is exactly like you described. It is only very slightly smaller than I believed it to be. I was glad to see the suspension sytem and can tell the tachanka could be roughly handled and with four horses quite fast. How was the machine gun secured to the tachanka to prevent it being thrown while racing a top speeds during civil war? I did not realize the tachanka was also in use in WW2 to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Archer
          How was the machine gun secured to the tachanka to prevent it being thrown while racing a top speeds during civil war?
          I do not know.

I did not realize the tachanka was also in use in WW2 to some degree.
          Soviet cavalry in WWII (tachanka was part of cavalry units) was practically the same like units of 1st Horse Army in Civil War.

Comment

Andrey

May I ask you about the situation of artillery during the Civil War. Did it play a effective role in a typical battle? Was artillery mostly horse drawn with some motorized artillery at this early date? What was the standard artillery for the army? Did the cavalry in the Civil War have a light horse artillery unit like an Napoleon era unit? If so what was the gun caliber of the light cannon?

Is it true that the cavalry armies in the Civil War were the more effective fighting force than the infantry? Were they about on the same level of preformance and effectiveness as a Tank Army in WW2?

Antalcidas used to say that Sparta's young men were her walls, and the points of their spears her frontiers.

Archidamus was asked what is the extent of territory controlled by the Spartiates, he said: "As much as they may reach with their spears."

Comment

[B]Is it true that the cavalry armies in the Civil War were the more effective fighting force than the infantry? Were they about on the same level of preformance and effectiveness as a Tank Army in WW2?
              I suppose that it was not like Tank Armies of WWII.

Tank Armies could break enemy fortified positions, Cavalry couldn't do it.

To hit tank was very difficult thing for infantrymen so tank in rear could be very large threat, there was neccessity in special anti-tank defense. But it was not so difficult for infantrymen to hit cavalrymen, usual rear soldiers could be used for effective actions against cavalry.

But tank army in enemy rear couldn't operate without refueling and getting ammo. Cavalry could operate in enemy rear even without connection with own rears.

Even in time of Napoleon wars unfantry was very effective against cavalry ("kare"), in WWI (and later) organized actions of infantry could stop cavalry.

Comment

For Bo Archer

Here is picture of cossack with lance.
                Attached Files

Comment

For Bo Archer

Here is Russian artilery in positions during WWI.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Andrey

Excellent print and very impressive the Cossack. Was this a Cavalry unit in the Civil War or WW2?

Comment

Andrey

Excellent print and very impressive the Cossack. Was this a Cavalry unit in the Civil War or WW2?
                      WWI

Comment

for Bo Archer

During Civil war Reds and Whites fought woth that weapon which Russian Army had in WWI.

Russian artillery of that time was approximately equal with German one in WWI.

In WWI Russia has field guns and heavy guns.

Heavy guns were used rarely in Civil War, mainly in case of fortification war in region of Crimea in 1919-1921.

In start of war Russia had excellent high fire rate 3-inch (76 mm) field-gun of Baranovskiy.

Every infantry division had 48 such guns. Russian cavalry division had 4000 cavalrymen, machine-gun team and artillery battalion amounting to 12 guns.

In that time in all world guns were not motorized, they were moved by horses.

As I understand using of artillery was not so like in Napoleon time. Everything changes, weapon, tactic and so on.

As I suppose "tachankas" were used in Civil war like cavalry light guns during Napoleon wars.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X