No revolution in naval aviation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No revolution in naval aviation?

What if there was no revolution in naval aviation, with between War navies invested more in the big gun ships instead of carriers?

Specificly, the effect it would have had on the pacific war? assuming that it still took place.

My thorghts are that much of the british fleet would have to remain in the med since Toranto would not have taken place, and a large force would have to remain in the north sea, since the bismarck would still be afloat. This would reduce the battleship numbers in the pacific, making it that much harder for the US.
    _______
    Last edited by Greasel_burger; 11 Sep 08, 06:28.
    Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we may become.

Probably better subs!
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

This sounds like the USN wagames of the 1920s or early 1930s. Where the aircraft carriers were primarily usefull for launching scouts and sinking a few destroyers or odd light crusier.

I'd suggest looking for '1931 The Great Pacific War' written by Hector Bywater, a news journalist and USN booster who based the book on a 1928 wargame he witnessed. Theres a copy for sale on amazon, tho it still seems to be on the shelf in a few university librarys.
      Last edited by Carl Schwamberg; 11 Sep 08, 21:43.

Comment

More USN blimps?
        FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

A Yamato class vs Montana class battle? Now that would be something to see!!
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
            This sounds like the USN wagames of the 1920s or early 1930s. Where the aircraft carriers were primarily usefull for launching scouts and sinking a few destroyers or odd light crusier.

I'd suggest looking for '1931 The Great Pacific War' written by Hector Bywater, a news journalist and USN booster who based the book on a 1928 wargame he witnessed. Theres a copy for sale on amazon, tho it still seems to be on the shelf in a few university librarys.

Iíve read that one. A good guide to what happened (in a general way) during the actual war.
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tsar View Post
              Iíve read that one. A good guide to what happened (in a general way) during the actual war.
              I think someone made a game on this subject. Japanese/US war in the 1930s. Cant recall the title.

Comment

My big question concerns the development of lad based aircraft. Even if those of 1939-45 dont advance as far as historically they represent a real threrat against the naval fleets. Conducting naval operations near the coast or amphibious operations will be even trickier without the ability of the fleet to bring along fighter planes.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasel_burger View Post
                  What if there was no revolution in naval aviation, with between War navies invested more in the big gun ships instead of carriers?
                  May be better spyglasses?
                  A prayer's as good as bayonet on a day like this!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X