No Operation Overlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
    Can you perhaps show the mineral transport amounts? I never seen them before.
    From Wikpedia

Sweden supplied 10 million tons of iron ore per year to Germany from 1940-1943, as much as in the pre-war year 1938, in addition to vast numbers of manufactured ball bearings. In compensation Germany exported coal, fertilizer and iron to affordable prices. The Swedish trade with Germany was terminated in the autumn 1944, without any Swedish deficit. [2]

This was roughly 50% of Germany's wartime needs.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I think you have misstaken it for Swedish ore that was sold to Germany in exhancge for weapons and other things.
      Probably from Swedens biggest Ore mine in Malmberget.
      You are most correct & I am most embarrassed

Comment

The fleet could have been avacuated
        Possiblly. But with Norway in Allied hands those fishing boats will be restricted to the inner waters of the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. Mybe I'm wrong but that looks like too many boats for the fish.

I doubt Sweden would have joined in a military action ageist Germany.
        Thsi question is worth some research. Sweden sat it out in part becasue of a impossible stratigic situation into 1945. Perhaps with a Allied Army at hand to help that would cease to matter. Also with Allied aircraft hammering the German Baltic ports, and cargo ships the economic imperative becomes one of: 'What can we do to help get this over with quicker?"

Sweden did prepare a brigade of Danes and a smaller group of Norwegians with arms and transportation to return to their respective nations when Germany collapsed

Comment

However I must say I am not for these sideshows and prefer a allout attack across the Channel in 1943, if not in 1942.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
            Thsi question is worth some research. Sweden sat it out in part becasue of a impossible stratigic situation into 1945. Perhaps with a Allied Army at hand to help that would cease to matter. Also with Allied aircraft hammering the German Baltic ports, and cargo ships the economic imperative becomes one of: 'What can we do to help get this over with quicker?"

Sweden did prepare a brigade of Danes and a smaller group of Norwegians with arms and transportation to return to their respective nations when Germany collapsed
            Sweden in 1940 declared neutrality towards Germany and allowed the Germans to use its mines and railroad system to transport critically needed raw material to add to the Geman war machine, because they had only outdated and greatly overaged equipment in its armed forces. Sweden wisely sat out the war until they could quietly build up a modern, mid 20th Century Army, Navy and Air Force. In late 1944, they broke all trade deals with Germany and forcefully threw them out of their country.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X