If you could go back in History what weapon would you of designed for WW 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could go back in History what weapon would you of designed for WW 2

OK you have a chance to go back in time and you will be charge of any weapon design for any side in World WAR TWO the time is 1940 Oct,which design would you have done ,all so you can bring any modern weapon system just so long as they could build it back them in other words the technology was there at the time ,to give you a example how about a M 134D Gatling Gun Minigun,what would they of done with it and would they of used it ?

Abrahms (or however it is spelled) tank. No German tanks stand up. Allies roll right over the German tanks.

~JDB

Comment

Sherman with 76MM anti-tank gun rather than 75mm infantry support gun.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by JDB5 View Post
        "Abrahms (or however it is spelled) tank. No German tanks stand up. Allies roll right over the German tanks."
        The Abrams employs technologies and armour composites that did not exist in 1940.

Originally posted by Sgt Ken View Post
        "....the time is 1940 Oct,which design would you have done ,all so you can bring any modern weapon system just so long as they could build it back them in other words the technology was there at the time....."
        Last edited by panther3485; 09 Aug 08, 00:21.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I would develop an efficient gas turbine design for US aircraft industry. I think the basic metals were there, just needed the development cash to bring it together. The first jet design I can remember was an Italian seaplane in the 1920s I believe. Even a turboprop design could be interesting.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
            "Sherman with 76MM anti-tank gun rather than 75mm infantry support gun."
            In principle I'd agree that it would have been desirable to have the 76mm earlier, although I wouldn't replace all the 75mm guns with 76; I'd take your proposal one step further and incorporate the 105mm earlier than historically as well. That way you get both the extra anti-armour punch and a much enhanced general support capability, all on the same proven and reliable Sherman chassis.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              I would develop an efficient gas turbine design for US aircraft industry. I think the basic metals were there, just needed the development cash to bring it together. The first jet design I can remember was an Italian seaplane in the 1920s I believe. Even a turboprop design could be interesting.

Pruitt
              Yes, that does look like quite a good suggestion.

Comment

I think this thread is quite a good idea for a discussion, Sgt Ken, well done there but upon reflection I believe it belongs in the 'Alternate Timelines' forum rather than this general WW2 forum. I'll move it there with a 10 day re-direct.

Comment

I would have redesigned the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), giving it a quick change barrel and a larger magazine capacity, making it a much better squad level automatic rifle.
                  Last edited by johnbryan; 10 Aug 08, 14:17.
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I would also ramp up the Allied production of 75, 76 and 90mm HVAP (high velocity armor piercing) ammunition as soon as possible.

Comment

Put the M-14 with its larger magazine into the hands of US Combat Infantrymen twenty years sooner. Nothing wrong with the M-1 Garand, but the M-14 had a twenty round magazine instead of 8 rounds with the Garand.

Comment

They could have put in a box magazine in the original Garand, but the Ordinance "professionals" were probably afraid the magazine would fall out or get damaged. The 8 round internal magazine was a compromise. There was also a fear that giving a soldier 20 rounds in his rifle would promote wastage of ammunition! Designing it for a box magazine would have also made the rifle thinner and probably have made it lighter.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I would change all the soviet BT-7 to the armour, engine and weapons of the T-35/85.
                          Poor Germans, ran into a wall of steel, shot to pieces without being abel to take out the enemy tanks using anything else then avation and artilery, and some special charges perhaps.

And instead of SVT-40 I would desing something like AK-47 and give to the Sovietes.
                          Last edited by Erkki; 10 Aug 08, 16:30.
                          “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

All good to bad some of us were not around back then!

Comment

Germany focuses development on the Wasserfall surface-to-air missile and ME-262.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X