Carthage Wins The Punic Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carthage Wins The Punic Wars

Let's say that, after the Battle of Cannae, Rome's allies desert them. Rome does not adapt the 'Fabian Strategy', and Africanus does not invade North Africa. Carthage sends Hannibal the equipment needed for a seige, and Rome falls.

What happens after that?

I don't think the romans would give up after that, I mean they still have most of italy and scily and hannibal is in a hostile territory.

The strength of Rome was not that it was one city or homogenous people but it incorpatied outsiders and almost all the tribes of italy,like the samnites, etc...

Or the romans could just give up and sign a humiliating peace and may or may not win the next war with Carthage

Comment

I read in "The Fall of Carthage" that the two sides had very different approaches to war. The Carthaginians seemed to expect wars to start, stop then everyhing go back to "normal" after indemnities, but the Romans pretty much played for keeps, basically aiming for their enemy's destruction.

If that is the case, I would think that Rome would just keep coming back until they won or were eliminated. A Carthaginian victory would probably only have staved of the inevitable.
      What would Occam say?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris Hachiman View Post
        Let's say that, after the Battle of Cannae, Rome's allies desert them. Rome does not adapt the 'Fabian Strategy', and Africanus does not invade North Africa. Carthage sends Hannibal the equipment needed for a seige, and Rome falls.

What happens after that?
        The Romans do not surrender,I think they would fight to the death. billscotmor naied it on the differences in culture. John Maddox Roberts wrote an interesting series of novels on this Ibelieve it's called Hannibal's children I've only read the first two;dont know if there's more.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X