[Book] The Years of Rice and Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Book] The Years of Rice and Salt

Anybody read this? Just got it from the library and I'm planning on starting it tomorrow night.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Years_of_Rice_and_Salt

Well I checked the Wiki link and I think Zhang He is pretty impressive, because I'm not sure what areas he would have explored had not the Chinese government shut themselves up in the Forbidden City. He seems to have been a very impressive explorer, and who knows how far he could have got.
    There didn't seem to be any mention of the Mongols or Genghis Khan in the Wiki link, so what does the author think about their devestation inflicted upon the Middle East, as well as other countries? I think it seems pretty biased. What about the influence of the Byzantine Christians or the fact that they were attacked by the Muslims? What about the Muslim invasion of India and the affects on India in regards to that?

Comment

It overlaps the material Mezines covers in his books '1421' and '1434' which discuss evidence for Chinese explorers, merchants, and diplomatic missions reaching across the globe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
        Well I checked the Wiki link and I think Zhang He is pretty impressive, because I'm not sure what areas he would have explored had not the Chinese government shut themselves up in the Forbidden City. He seems to have been a very impressive explorer, and who knows how far he could have got.
        There didn't seem to be any mention of the Mongols or Genghis Khan in the Wiki link, so what does the author think about their devestation inflicted upon the Middle East, as well as other countries? I think it seems pretty biased. What about the influence of the Byzantine Christians or the fact that they were attacked by the Muslims? What about the Muslim invasion of India and the affects on India in regards to that?
        Haven't gotten too far into the book yet (Got some other stuff I'm reading), Right now to seems to be mainly focused on individual characters. You'd probably be better off reading it instead of having me describe everything for you though.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
          It overlaps the material Mezines covers in his books '1421' and '1434' which discuss evidence for Chinese explorers, merchants, and diplomatic missions reaching across the globe.
          You forgot to mention his other works:
          "1869: The Year China United (the) States"
          "1930: The Year China Invented the BBC program 'Doctor Wu'"
          "1952: The Year China Landed on the Moon"
          "1969: The Year China Invented the Internet"
          "2007: The Year China Brought Peace to the Middle East"
          And I hear his next book will detail how Zheng He built a spaceship and sailed off to Mars.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X