American Revolution - Was it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
    You ar indeed right. There is a misconception about the power of the monarchy at the time. I think thats why it leads to this notion about democray fighting momarchy. It wasnt really true. We were in fact much closer together than is thought or maybe admitted to. Thats why I've always considered the AWOI the first American civil war and a down right shame and of course Lord North who I think foolihly reacted to keenly to a problem not easy to control from a few thousand miles away. It could've been sorted.
    Which was in fact precisely the problem. Through years of neglect/noninvolvement by London, the Americans had developed their own institutions modeled on the home country for dealing with problems. One can't let folks have virtual self government for 150 years and then suddenly take it away from them and not expect trouble. North and Greenville created a totally unnecessary war.
    Boston Strong!

Comment

Exactly JSMoss, the AWOI was in fact a conservative war to defend existing liberties not create dangerous new ones.

Worth noting that long before the outset of the war, every one of the colonies had an elected representative body which had power over almost every part of government - that is why there was such outrage when London tried to exert overt influence then sent in the redcoats when it all went a bit wild.
      What would Occam say?

Comment

A complete and utter balls up is the term we're looking for. As I said, North made a very foolish mistake that led to as was said a very unecessary war. It makes me sad in a similar way to which the First World War does.

Comment

Well, england was just to far away to effectively rule america, I mean the misconceptions about it were vast, like the british didn't think of them as a self-governing people, but like the lower classes in england

Also, I believe Texas would come into being as spain would remain lagerly unchanged and the only difference that the texans would be fighting mexicans that swore allegiance to the Spanish king instead of mexico

But colonialism would be a lot stronger and around alot longer since there would be no successful war where a colony got its rights and there would be no model for a country like hati or south america (notwithstanding brazil) to found itself off

All-in-all america at that time was basically european with the same basic religion, values, and customs

Abit with more guns, hatred of brown/black people, and a few with funny southern accents

Thats my 2 cents

Comment

I have read a convincing argument that winning the AWOI would've weakened the Empire in the long run due to the cost that had been entailed before and would continue to mount to run it and it in America and was a much less profitable outpost compared to India in the 19th century that was to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace_General View Post
              All-in-all america at that time was basically european with the same basic religion, values, and customs

I think part of the point of this thread is that the USA is still basicaly European.
              What would Occam say?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                I have read a convincing argument that winning the AWOI would've weakened the Empire in the long run due to the cost that had been entailed before and would continue to mount to run it and it in America and was a much less profitable outpost compared to India in the 19th century that was to come.
                If the US became an early Dominion in the commonwealth mode (which likely would of happened around 1820ish) there would be no cost to the Empire by the time India became important in the latter half of the 1800's. However the increased trade, lack of US/UK trade barriers and lack of requirement to defend the rest of British North America would of paid at least some dividend.
                FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

Yes that would be true if the crisis could have ben averted. The difficulty would ;ve been i the British had won the war and then had to deal with a hostile territory, thats much more problematic and a pain in the rear end. Mind you I wouldnt have been suprised if having won the war, the British then do then actually allow for what the colonists wanted in the first palce to take the sting out of the situation.

Comment

There was attempted revolution in Upper and Lower Canada in 1838 for more responsible government. They both failed. A British lord sent to determine why the rebellion took place among other thing recommended responsible government
                    FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

Well then my suggestion is not without historical precedent.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X