Werner v. Braun dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werner v. Braun dies

Towards the end of 1943 the RAF conducts a major bombing raid on Peenemunde. Caught out on a test stand with no cover is Warner v. Braun and a number of other high ranking scientists, engineers, and military staff inspecting a missile and they are killed. How does this effect the V-2 program and things that follow? As is my usual style, I'll withhold comment until some others get a chance to answer.

The program continues under some of his proteges, albeit a little slower.

Comment

I'd say the program never progresses beyond the prototype and testing stage. The V-2 is never deployed as a weapon. This is because v. Braun was a master salesman and the driving force behind getting the program funded and developed. Without him, the Heer and those left are unable to convince the top Nazi leadership to dump huge amounts of money into the program and give it the priority it historically had.

Because the program languishes as a research and development project, post war Soviet ballistic missile development is slowed by roughly five years while in the US some programs fail to materialize simply because of the lack of V-2 missiles captured and fired for test purposes. But on the whole both the Soviet and US ballistic missile programs get to an operational ICBM in about the same time they did historically.

On the other hand, the Apollo program lacking a dynamic pitchman and leader is much slower to develop. The US still goes to the moon, but with fewer missions. The Soviets still send unmanned rovers but they too are several years slower to getting this done.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X